Prologue

"Come back!"

Abrin shook his head and continued running, trying to ignore Aranza's cries. He internally replayed what she'd said.

Maybe if you were less stupid, dad would still be here.

Abrin held in a sob and slowed to a stop, rubbing his face with his hands until his gaze spun with stars. Why would she say that? He let out a soft cry and allowed himself to crumple to his feet.

In the edges of the forest, a pale-haired woman stood, golden eyes narrowed on the young boy. She held a golden and black staff that glowed softly. Her gaze traveled to Aranza, who saw her and stiffened.

"A-Abrin! Come back, there's a woman in the woods!"

Abrin looked up and his eyes widened as he saw the woman. She blinked slowly before moving her staff in a slow circle. Abrin's expression went blank and he collapsed, unconscious.

Aranza screamed and turned to run but the woman just smiled. A plant shot out of the ground and wrapped itself around her ankle, making her fall to the ground. Aranza continued to scream as the woman got closer and closer, until...

The woman stood above her, staff held high, and plunged it into her temple. The staff went right through her head and the life died from her eyes.

She kicked the girl's body away, she would be of no use. The woman closed her eyes as an image flashed behind her eyes.

She wouldn't kill the boy.

Yet.

Instead, she waked over to him and whispered something under her breath, and a golden scar on the back of her hand glowed brightly. She pressed it to the boy's temple and watched as the glow went up to his forehead, becoming a star-shape before its glow faded.

He would not remember until the time was right.

With that, the woman hummed softly and her staff glowed again, as well as the boy. There was a clear tension in the air until the boy disappeared with a soft pop. The woman stared at the spot he'd been in before she, too, disappeared.