𝟬𝟭. uncertainty

Start from the beginning

The girl cut herself off as she realized Nick's attention was elsewhere. The girl followed his gaze, locking her eyes on the popular blonde cheerleader, Peyton Sawyer, "You're drooling," Jackie snapped him out of his trance, "I can't believe you still have a crush on her, it's been years."

"I can't believe she's still with Nathan," He scoffed, "He's a real dick to her."

"Like you can be any better?" Jackie teased, "Keep eyeing her and Nathan's gonna kick your ass. Would you prefer on or off the court?"

Nick laughed, elbowing his friend playfully, "As if Nathan can kick my ass, maybe your ass but not this one," He pointed to his backside.

The sound of the bell blared through the halls and students hastily began making their way to their next classes, "I'll see ya' later, Kid." Nick tapped her shoulder before making his way down the hall. She always chuckled at the nickname knowing that he was only two months older than her.

Jackie took the long way to Study Hall, she would usually be the first one to arrive but luckily her usual spot was still open and the students began filling in. She was just about to reach over to grab the chair before a taller and buffer body stood in her way.

"That's my seat," Jackie stated, trying to maneuver around the athlete and his group of friends.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Nathan began to examine the chair and the table, "is your name on it anywhere?"

To avoid all conflict, Jackie mentally rolled her eyes before walking away as the small group snickered. The next available seat was next to the less insufferable Scott boy. Jackie nodded in acknowledgment to the blond boy before she settled down in the seat next to him.

She didn't know much personally about the two boys besides the common knowledge that most of the town probably knew. She never engaged in conversations with them or anybody else besides Nick for that matter. She always preferred to listen more than she spoke anyways.

Everyone sat in silence for the most part. Every now and then Jackie would look over at Lucas to see him staring intensely over at Peyton. She even caught herself a few times looking a little longer than she expected. Peyton was just one of the many people she envied the most, she seemed to have it all socially wise plus she was talented. She had some sort of depth to her that Jackie felt she didn't possess.

"Scott," Whitey drew the attention onto himself, Jackie's thoughts leaving her.

"Sup, Coach?" Nathan answered.

"Not you," The older man dismissed, before pointing to Lucas, "You." All eyes were now on Lucas as she reluctantly got up from his chair. "You," Whitey addressed Nathan, "read a book or something."

The next few days of the school were a complete drag. Jackie went through her week feeling entirely disinterested in all of the material and lectures given to her. She was always relieved to finally be in the comfort of her home, looking forward to relaxing for the rest of the day.

As usual, her Mom wasn't home. Jackie always labeled her as the busiest person on earth, she worked nonstop at the hospital as a general surgeon. She truly admired her mother and the passion that came with her profession. Her mother had been trying to get her career appeal to her interest but she did not feel the spark.

She knew following in either one of her parents' footsteps would make them extremely proud but she had never committed to something she didn't love for. She didn't find anything that resonated with her.

After a few hours passed, Jackie found herself over at Nick's house who didn't live much further from her. She laid across his bed, staring up at the ceiling while he repeatedly shot a miniature basketball into the small hoop on the back of his door.