Chapter Two| Operation Rose: Catch the Thorn Princess

Loid didn't expect the day to start off so wonderfully. Realistically, it was a poor start to the day, but it was unexpected and brought a new challenge. And Loid loved challenges. Anya had woken up late, Bond had thrown up on the carpet, Yor had caused the building fire alarms to go off, then ripped her dress.

If he was being honest he found it amusing. He didn't laugh as much as he did when they were standing in the morning sun, waiting for Anya's bus to come pick her up while the apartment was being aired out.

He then went to work with the events of the morning swarming his mind; and a smile couldn't help but break loose on his face. It was absolutely wonderful.

He wondered how exactly he was lucky enough to find a woman like Yor. God must have been shining down on him the day he met Yor at the seamstress shop because there was none quite like the ruby eyed, raven hair woman he had found himself marrying.

It made him feel secure. Knowing he had found a wife midst the chaos of Operation Strix. Because it allowed him to have level footing and a good display of a family to help further his operation. He didn't even fathom having another person like Yor in his life. Another wife. Another Yor.

If Loid was being one hundred and ten percent truthful, it didn't hurt to look at Yor. She was a rather striking beauty. He had found his gaze lingering on her a little while longer than it used to. Which was not entirely good. Because he was a spy. He had no room for love...no...he couldn't possibly. He needed to stay focused on his mission. He would make sure Yor and Anya lived a happy life once Operation Strix was over with. He just wouldn't get attached.

That was one way his day got worse. He found himself thinking of Yor more often throughout his day than he did most of the time. So he brought her coffee. Her favorite from the Donut Dunkers shop near his job. But rather far from hers. The smile she gave could lighten a room, but Loid had only thought of it as making him even more weak.

Again, that was thing number one.

Thing number two was Fiona Frost.

Lord, sometimes Loid couldn't handle her incessant infatuation with him.

"I've found puddles deeper than you." He mumbled under his breath as she went on and on about becoming the new mother of Anya. How she would whip - and quite literally whip - his daughter into shape. Into being an imperial scholar. Loid liked to believe Anya would get their eventually, but he would tolerate no abuse on the way there. He also found Yor as a lovely mother. He couldn't imagine giving Anya another mother that was like Yor. She was one of a kind.

The absolute icing on the cake of his day was spying on Anya.

He thought that sarcastically.

Spying on Anya was never fun. In fact it left him rather disappointed sometimes because he realized just how much Anya didn't care. He couldn't find ways to motivate her to earn more Stellas. It was amazing how she had saved a kid, but other than that, nothing could seem to make her earn another. Not even peanuts, which were Anya's favorite thing in the world.

Sometimes Loid wondered what it would have been like if he had adopted a different child. Would they have earned their Stella's by now? Maybe a few, not just only one. Maybe Operation Strix would have been further progressed. Who knows, maybe if he would have adopted a boy, they would have befriended Damian Desmond and he'd have met Donovan much much sooner.

Who knew?

Loid finished his day off with a frown. Anya had to stay late because she flunked another test. A 33. Dear Lord.

When he was almost home from the store, he crossed paths with Yor.

"Good evening Yor."

Yor smiled and a strand of her raven hair was tossed into her face by the wind.