And now, he was on his way to meet another older relative, a parental figure of his boyfriend and whether he liked it or not, he would have to strive for Uncle Qiren's approval, too.

These homes and the scenery he was looking at was seriously affecting his confidence.

What if Uncle Qiren found him lacking in some way?

Or worse, what if Uncle Qiren objected to him?

Then what would Wei Ying do? Was he strong enough to walk away from Lan Zhan?

The sharp pain those words caused him, lancing through his heart like a sharp knife, had him gasping. Wei Ying can feel Lan Zhan looking at him, his super sharp hearing having no doubt caught the sound.

Wei Ying took a deep breath, berating himself.

Here he was, professing to love Lan Zhan deeply and forever, and yet, at the first sign of trouble on the horizon, he was thinking about walking away. All because he didn't want to be the wedge that came in between Lan Zhan and his uncle.

But could he really do that? Wei Ying forced himself to be absolutely honest with himself.

No lies, no covering up.

The answer was no.

He was so relieved.

There was even a small smile on his face at the realisation that Wei Ying was going to fight for this, for the wealth of love in his heart for Lan Zhan.

Wei Ying was going to take a stand now.

If he truly believed that Lan Zhan was it for him, then their love was something worth fighting for.

Lan Zhan hadn't dared to take his hand when they got in the car after leaving home, so Wei Ying reached over and tangled their fingers together.

"This isn't about the mess at home," he says, meaning it. "But here, we're going to present a united front." His voice is sure and full of confidence.

Lan Zhan would gladly admit that those words have made him fall in love with this beautiful man, all over again. Or perhaps, it would be more accurate to say that he's fallen even deeper in love with him, because falling out of whatever this is, is impossible.

Lan Zhan has never been as confident as now of his feelings towards Wei Ying. He brings their hands up to his lips and places a lingering kiss there.

It never fails to make Wei Ying shiver.

They pass by gates with clouds formed out of wrought iron and painted cream and gold. There's a winding drive that twists a couple of times before they reach an avenue of sorts, flanked by beautiful cherry trees in full bloom. Pink petals drift by, some whizzing past to get stuck on their windshield.

It's a beautiful sight, especially in this twilight. The sky is a contrast of purples and blues, with orange streaks that are fading fast, allowing the glittering stars to shine above them.

Lan Zhan parks the car at the side of the mansion. He gets out of the vehicle and goes to open the door for Wei Ying and then the children, all three who are wearing the same expression of awe and disbelief.

Gravel crunches beneath their feet as they step out of the sanctuary that is Lan Zhan's car.

This home looks like a modern Palace. Wei Ying counts the number of windows in one quarter section of it, and he's already past sixteen when Lan Zhan takes his hand.

The outer facade is made from huge brownstone, and there are two round turrets at each side. It's a picturesque building, made even more attractive due to the working fountain in front of Lan Zhan's home.