In that case, though, River was left to nothing once more. No time or place to make a move and fuck if she didn't need him.

To make sure she didn't walk into anything surprising, she left Harry a text a few hours before she was due to get to his apartment.

River Hamilton: Hi darling, I look forward to dinner tonight. Is there anything I can bring? You haven't mentioned who will be in attendance. Thanks!

It was straight to the point, and polite. It sounded very much like an email she would send, excluding the endearment, and she noticed it pretty much as she wrote the words. Perhaps if she phrased it in such a manner, Harry's pending rejection wouldn't hurt as much.

Harry Styles: hey – no need to bring anything baby. My brothers are gonna be there and Ellis and Nathan

Harry Styles: it was supposed to be me and you but Chris's plans got rained on and Nick wanted to see me and it's not ideal so if you decide you don't wanna come that's fine x

A family meal, then. River supposed it was due to happen at some point. Although she didn't feel too much pressure in terms of being around other people, a sense of need to appeal surfaced. Sure, River met Nicholas and his family when they visited the Clubhouse, and they were lovely. But she never met Christian. Certainly not all of them together.

Given that Harry didn't keep in touch with his parents, this counted for a meet-the-family.

River Hamilton: That's fine, I am happy to be there. I will still bring a bottle of something. Next time let me know ahead of time please.

Not too much to ask, right? A bit of forewarning was always appreciated. Of course, River was used to last minute things but this was different. In her mind, anyway. These were the people closest to Harry. His immediate family. Sure, she met most of them during their day out but that was business to River.

Harry Styles: sorry, I did mean to tell you earlier but work's been manic and I didn't get a chance to do anything. I will make it up to you I promise

The message made her smile despite the anxiety that sat on her shoulders.

River Hamilton: Sounds like a plan. I like plans. Please share these plans. :)

Given how busy Harry was he didn't reply after that and River was able to focus on her continued dilemma.

What to wear?

+ + +

Jeans and a turtleneck never proved to be a bad look.

In this case it was the perfect look. River was pleased with her choice when she turned up to Harry's apartment, and he opened the door in a pair of black denim and his usual one-of-many graphic t-shirts. His hair flew in all kinds of directions, like he ran his fingers through them more times than he could count, and it made him look extremely relaxed and indescribably sexy. River instantly had to ground her teeth and think of anything else than the man before her because she wanted nothing more than to jump his bones.

"Hey," he grinned, his eye crinkles now visible as was the slight purple tinge to his skin beneath his eyes. He pulled her in by her waist and kissed her without the chance to respond but she couldn't complain. River melted against him, with arms behind his neck, and her left leg rather close to lifting.

"Hello, darling," she giggled as he brushed his nose against hers and hummed in satisfaction. He smelled amazing, fresh yet masculine, and his body warmth was something she missed during the night. Still, she held onto his face with both hands as if she wished to give him a proper examination. "Gosh, you look in need of a full eight hours of sleep. Are you certain you want to host?"