Performance Partners

Start from the beginning

Akaza looked pretty pissed for a moment, before she took a deep breath to calm herself down, and stated as politely as she could at that point. "I'm here to audition, but for the male part. I truly think that I will be able to get it."

There was silence for a few seconds, before Muzan-sama burst into laughter, and soon, the rest of the dancers in the room joined her. I kept my smile up, unsure of what I was supposed to do. Kokushibo-dono was the only other one that didn't laugh. "You think that you, a mere rookie who insists that she has years of experience, can possibly win the male role in the live performance? Please, you barely even look flexible enough!" Muzan-sama wheezed out.

Irk marks were already appearing on Akaza's face as she shouted, "I do have experience, alright? And I can prove it!"

Muzan-sama looked bored, but nodded anyway. "Alright then, I'll show you a famous dance of some sort, and you have to dance to it. You'll be dancing a duet with one of my dancers, and if you can successfully do it, I'll hire you. If you fail, then you can take your lying ass out of this room. Do you accept?"

"HELL YEAH!!! I'm no pussy!" Akaza replied without hesitation.

I'm honestly kind of curious how this will all play out. Immediately after Akaza accepted, Muzan-sama told Enmu to get her computer for her, and searched for a dance duet. "Alright, I've found one. Dance to this. And you'll be dancing with...Douma. She's my second best, and because you're short, you can't dance with my best, she's practically a tree. Douma should be about an inch taller than you. It should work."

(The dance, I think this one is nice 🙃. But maybe without the parts where he lifts her up in the air. Credits to the person that made this vid, when u press to watch, the channel should be on the top left corner.)

Akaza's fists were clenched so tightly, her knuckles turned white. Guess she doesn't like to be called short, huh. All of us, including her, crowded around the computer to watch the video. "Alright, this should be fine. Which one is Douma?" Akaza asked, looking around at all of us.

I called out to her and waved, widening my smile a little so that it would make her a little more comfortable with me. But instead, she looked a little annoyed when she saw me, and moved her eyes up and down to scan me. "Ok...she looks pretty stupid tho, you sure she's ur second best?" Ouch-

Strangely, a tint of red appeared on her cheeks. Weird. She hasn't even been embarrassed tho? Maybe she's nervous to dance in front of people? She held her hand out to me, and I took it. I knew this was really risky, because if Akaza isn't as good she says she is, it might end in a tragedy. I felt my heart pounding against my ribs as the music started playing. I felt really scared, but also felt something I didn't recognize. Was it anxiety? Worry? I couldn't tell. At the start, we were doing pretty well. Honestly, she's not that bad. Suddenly, I was spun around without warning, then dipped. Akaza smirked at me, causing my heart to beat even faster. What is this? Our fingers intertwined for a moment, before we let go and continued to dance according to the video. At one point, I whipped my head in Muzan-sama's direction, to see how she was reacting to this. Her eyes were following our every move, watching our little performance intently. She seemed to be impressed with Akaza's skills, and had a rare smile on her face, which grew wider the longer we danced.

When the music ended and we finished off with the both of us holding hands and bowing. Muzan-sama slowly clapped and stood up. "Bravo, bravo! Good show! Seems like you weren't lying. Alright, you can have the male role for the performance, since your skill is clearly far beyond my male dancers'. But you'll first have too look like a male. I'll get my makeup artist to do that for you. Next, we'll have to see which of my female dancers will be able to dance best with you. We've already seen you and Douma,but I'm curious how well you'll do with others. Well then, let's start."

I went aside and leaned against one of the walls to watch and secretly rate the tryouts. With Kokushibo: 4/10. She was too tall for Akaza, just as Muzan-sama predicted. With every one of the Hantengu sisters: 5/10. Sekido was arguing with Akaza the whole time. Karaku was having way too much fun and forgot to stop. Urogi practically threw Akaza into the air half the time, which scared Akaza I think. Aizetsu was too nervous, but ended up doing better than all her sisters, which is where the 5 even came from. Zohakuten said she "wasn't really into this type of dancing". Urami...was no where to be found. Gyokko: 0/10. She continuously complained about how the dance wasn't "artistic enough" or "needs more style" which ended up annoying Akaza into giving up the tryout with her. Gyutaro had to go visit her little brother, so she didn't want to try. Kaigaku: 2/10. She was dancing way too fast for Akaza to catch up. "Alright, it's settled then. You'll be dancing with Douma for the performance. What are you waiting for? Get to work and choreograph a duet NOW!!! The rest of you except for Kokushibo, go and practice. I swear, all of you are useless!"

As Muzan-sama went on and on about how useless we are and how we weren't working hard enough, Akaza grabbed my arm and led me to one of the practice rooms to come up with something for the performance. "Alright, let's see...."

(Time skip to the day of the performance cus no one wants to read the whole process of thinking)

I took a deep breath, telling myself it was going to be fine. I shouldn't be this scared honestly. But...it was my first time going on stage to perform in front of this many people. "Douma? You good there? You're getting quite pale." Akaza asked, looking concerned.

She looked totally different after Daki had dressed her up as a man. And not going to lie, he did way better than that make up artist Muzan-sama hired. It would be best not to worry her. I nodded my head, assuring her that I was alright and she didn't have to worry. "You both are up in 2 minutes. Don't screw this up." Muzan-sama told us before going down to where the other dancers were sitting at in the audience.

I started feeling really nervous as I clung onto one of the curtains that was near me. What if I don't do well? What if I make a mistake? Or trip and fall? Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder and yelped. "Oh, sorry if I scared you. Just wanted to say that we'll do alright, I promise." Akaza said in a soothing voice and gave me a warm smile, which caught me off guard since she wasn't usually like this towards me.

"PRESENTING....AKAZA AND DOUMA'S DUET!"

That was the signal for us to go on stage. I took another deep breath, and stepped out from backstage beside Akaza. We dipped a bow to the audience and greeter them before getting into position. "YOU CAN DO IT MOM!" I heard Daki shout from the audience a little louder than I would have preferred, but I couldn't lecture him about it right now so I simply gave him a small smile, hoping he saw it. The music started to play as we began to dance...

( A little something: imagine Akaza and Douma dancing a romantic-ish dance duet, it can be anything you like! But preferably with some dance moves that require flexibility.)

As we danced, Akaza started to laugh a little, probably enjoying this dance. I joined him and we were all smiles through out the rest of the performance. When we ended, we held hands and bowed to the audience. Applause roared from below us as the audience started standing up row by row, till the entire audience was on their feet, cheering and applauding us. A wide smile spread across my face as I admired this. I, no...we did it. The performance wasn't a fail, we actually did it! I got so excited that I hugged Akaza tight, only letting go when I realized we were still on stage when I heard the audience "awww" at this. Akaza's face hand turned completly red as she buried it in her hands. I chuckled. Guess she blushes easily, huh. Oh well. I dipped another bow and dragged Akaza backstage. Muzan-sama and the others were waiting there, and Muzan-sama congratulated us for putting on an amazing show. She told us that she was going to treat us to dinner, which cause everyone to whoop in joy.

In Muzan's car...

"You alright there, Akaza?" I asked.

She hadn't spoken a word since we had gotten onto the car, and that was quite concerning. She looked at me from the corner of her eye and nodded. "Just happy. We did great, didn't we?"I smiled and agreed.

My heart was still beating really fast, but I had already given up long ago on trying to figure out why it keeps doing that everytime I'm around Akaza. Guess I'll never know, huh?