And it proved to be a symbiotic relationship because by injecting that one drop of venom, Lan Zhan took one drop of Wei Ying's delicious blood, a nourishment that seemed to last ages within his own body.

Wei Ying always encouraged him to take more, saying he didn't mind in the least, and offering up his neck, something that still frightened Lan Zhan. For now, he contented himself with tiny bites in obscure places that only Wei Ying and himself knew were there. He would do internal inventory of sorts regularly, and up until now, his body was happily accepting the gift of Wei Ying's blood. He hadn't experienced any lack of nutrients, and more importantly, Lan Zhan hadn't felt hungry at all, in a long, long while.

Plus the side effects of Wei Ying's supercharged fuel was phenomenal. Lan Zhan could still go outside with no detrimental effects, such as dying or exploding as soon as the sun hit him, and for that, he would always be eternally grateful.

They might have stumbled upon a mutually satisfying system, but that didn't mean Lan Zhan was not aware of how much it helped him.

When he sees Wei Ying and the children waiting by the door, ready to leave, he thinks it might not be possible to love them any more. And yet, every time he has that thought, he's managed to prove himself wrong.

They pile into the car, the kids visibly excited enough to stay awake for half of the ride. Lan Zhan finds it amusing.

He would have commented but he thinks Wei Ying is distracted for some reason, and he would like to find out the cause.

It's a fairly straight road, driving on the freeway, and their hands are joined next to the gearbox, while Lan Zhan keeps one hand firmly on the steering wheel. This car is his baby, and it's never once let him down.

"What is on Wei Ying's mind?" Lan Zhan risks a quick glance in his direction.

Wei Ying is looking out of his passenger window, elbow resting on the frame, with his hand around his neck playing with the thick black string holding the locket around his neck. He hasn't taken it off once, since introducing Lan Zhan to his parents.

"I dunno. I just...it's silly." Wei Ying blushes, turning around to make sure the children are still fast asleep. A small smile forms on his face at the sight of the two young ones holding each other with their pudgy cheeks squished on the leather seats, having sunk down on their boosters.

Lan Zhan brings their joined hands to his lips, kissing Wei Ying's soft skin leisurely. The shiver he gets in return is so worth it. He's lucky to have such a responsive, sensitive partner.

"Nothing Wei Ying feels is silly. I would be honoured to hear Wei Ying's thoughts." He presses.

"Well, I can't help thinking we're on the cusp of something...something. You know when you're on a roller coaster, and it's climbing up. Like, you can see you're going up, and it's a slow and steady ride. The problem comes because you know that you have to come down too, and that's the crunch. It's the anticipation of the whole thing. That's what I'm feeling now. As if things have been too quiet recently, and something is gonna happen." Wei Ying smiles ruefully. "I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I just can't shake this feeling. That's all."

"Wei Ying's feelings are valid, and I shall do my best to distract him." Lan Zhan says this with perfect sincerity.

"It's not just that, though."

"Mn?"

"I can't get that mysterious dude out of my head. The one that wore all white, remember him? He was weird and kept staring at me. And the other guy, the one with pink highlights. At least we know his name, which is great, except it doesn't help at all." Wei Ying rubbed his temple, suddenly feeling exhausted. "With him, I felt like I'd seen him before...but I just can't place when."