Even if it had been several generations since your family emigrated out of the country, you were still Chinese.

No matter which corner of the world you may live in, if you did not have a powerful ancestral homeland, your security could be lost very easily.

Shi Yi gazed up at him for a moment, then stretched out her hand and gently patted the area of his chest over his heart. “Your heart holds too many things in it. I only need to occupy a small corner of it and that will be enough.”

Dinner was in their own courtyard wing, with just her and him.

This was also a rare moment within this last month where they could sit down, only the two of them, and have dinner together. Shi Yi had deliberately used a traditional herbal recipe to personally prepare soup with medicinal qualities for him. Zhousheng Chen seemed to be repelled by the taste of traditional Chinese medicines. In that instant when he ate it, the expression on his face was like that of a teenage boy. Astonished, she guessed, “Did you consume too much of stuff like this when you were a kid, so now, psychologically, you’re resistant to it?”

He, though, had already lowered his head and was continuing to drink that soup that was hot to hold and scalding to the mouth.

It seemed he was not too willing to admit those feelings.

The corner of her lips twitched, like they wanted to laugh. “Just admit that you’re scared of taking medicines.”

When he lifted his head again, a normal expression had returned to his face. “Mm-hmm. I don’t really like it.”

Spoken in all seriousness with no hint of a smile.

She could not conceal the good mood she was in and teased him with a couple more sentences.

Watching them, Uncle Lin could not restrain a smile. It was not often that Eldest Young Master was forced to admit a weakness.

Zhousheng Chen gave a light cough and then stated in a low voice, “Alright, if you continue to be so unruly, I will implement some domestic discipline.”

“Domestic discipline?” she blurted first before instantly understanding what he meant.

Such vaguely suggestive, yet clearly affectionate words. It was a seldom chance that she could hear him say words like that, and yet, the moment he did say them, he made her cheeks and ears burn red.

She did not dare tease him anymore and started to eat her own dinner.

Perhaps because of their joking at dinnertime or possibly because of his special behavior this afternoon, during the hour of the day that was normally reserved for reading, she could not settle her heart. She sat at the desk beside the window and stole glances at Zhousheng Chen from the corner of her eye. His back rested against the back of the couch as he sat there rather relaxedly in a simple shirt and trousers. His arm was slung casually on one side, and his fingers unconsciously toyed with the tassels on a throw pillow. He was very quiet and appeared to be absorbed in his reading.

She shifted and tried to engage herself in her book.

“Shi Yi?”

“Huh?” She turned around.

He looked at her. “Is there something on your mind?”

“No,” she answered offhandedly, trying to avoid the question. “Haven’t I been reading the whole time?”

“Every two minutes, you will move,” he exposed her with a slight smile. “It doesn’t seem like you are reading.”

“I…” She cast around in her mind, trying to find an excuse but then, she came around and realized with a laugh, “Hey, you weren’t focused on reading either if you knew I was restless.”

One Life, One Incarnation, Beautiful Bonesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें