Chapter Two: Blind Omen

Start from the beginning

I got down and crawled around it, searching for the suitable pieces. My body screamed in pain and I finally gave up and laid down, under a bush. They were definitely in the field by now if not making their way deeper in the forest. Though I didn't care, I was done with caring for today.

My stomach twisted in hate, pain, exhaustion, and frustration, making such a mixture that I was left with practically no choice but to vomit. I silently made my way back, grabbing an apple to drown the taste, but popping in gum first as it seemed smarter.

I ran my hands gently along a wood piece, and then slammed my axe swiftly into it. It wasn't the best cut, but I just needed the size. I traced groves as my mind drifted, focus becoming difficult like normal. This routine was horrible, a bad habit. I would never make it in any union with my ease of distraction.

I made my contraption and slowly crawled back to the water. It was tested to be fine, so I dunked my ankle in. The water was cold, for the time was late in the season. It numbed my paining foot entirely and I enjoyed the coldness that spread throughout. The heat was exhausting, the cold was exhilarating.

I let myself fall onto the ground, hands bracing my head, staring at the sky. It was mostly covered, but it was so beautiful. I saw some lampyridaes flying in the darker parts, and stuck my hand out for them to land on it. One crawled up onto a piece of grass, clung to the top and over the edge like it was on the edge of a cliff, overseeing everything. I admired the little guy's bravery, and put a finger closer.

Slowly it inched up, and began to explore the new wonders of the land it had just discovered. I blinked as water lightly made itself present on my eyes, trying not to tear up. This, in a way, was magnificent. So much grace and power and potential. I couldn't help but feel emotions crashing into each other as I watched the beetle.

I was smiling, so stupidly. People were hunting me down, but I was watching a bug crawl on me. I don't know how I'm alive, maybe people pity me and think I'm too stupid to ever do harm. They're probably right, but me having this self recognition...it feels...

I sat up. My hand immediately went to...a knife. The creature flew away, and I took the knife in the hand it had been in and stabbed it into the ground. Suddenly the tears turned to anger, and I sat there mindlessly stabbing it in and out of the dirt, sobbing and drowning in my emotions.

There was probably nothing sane or harmless about that...I'm in too much pain to think. I should sleep, I should relax, I should do anything but stay here and awake. I know it's not good I'm awake. My state of mind has deteriorated, but my existence will follow if I let myself be unprotected. Nothing will save me if I'm in defenseless slumber.

I slowly pulled away from everything. The water, the indents in the ground, the place I before sat in peace, and stumbled up. I leaned on a tree, trying to use my foot. Slowly I turned around and with one foot used the tree as support, and slowly got out some plant. I'd like to save useful plants, and luckily I had a numbing one. I moved my leg up so I could take some and rub it on, and took a different bit and ate it.

It would take a bit to kick in, but what I lacked was time and should've been gone long ago. I hovered for a moment in blind stupidity, half thinking the extra moment would let the medicine work. Surely I eased the foot down, blinking back the waves of pain, and pushed myself forward.

The physically inability to run as well undoubtedly was a huge disadvantage, but luckily I still could move. I was going as fast as I now could, the idea of passing out from the overwhelming pain just now crossing my mind. My chest felt heavy as I continued, and my whole body was feeling numb.