Chapter 5: Model

Depuis le début

"Becoming strong and skilled does not happen overnight," he regarded the tree quietly, "so it should make sense that things like this take time. This might seem challenging now, but I am sure you can accomplish this task with time."

You looked at the trunk of the tree, finding that old, faded scar that had been marred on its body. It had been made with your katana after getting hasty in trying to cut down a leaf and overestimating the reach of your blade. The silence between you and Haruka, who had given in to your pleas to finally use an actual sword rather than the wooden one, had been palpable. That day, you had to practice sword slashes until your arms gave out, from afternoon till dusk.

"Doing this practice will help you learn how to execute form three," you reminded him. "Flower breathing is fluid and swift like water breathing but has added speed, elegance, and grace."

"So, it's just a fancy form of water breathing."

"....Ah, Uroko-san! There you are!"

You swore Kaede's head nearly fell off just trying to get a look behind him, a grim expression on his face. Served him right.

You had yet to tame this unruly boy. He did not seem to have the same fear of Urokodaki towards you, but what you wouldn't give to have a little more of your fellow Hashira's rigidness. Maybe it was just because you were worried you'd be too strict or scare him away and quit.

"...Well, you see...I am not Urokodaki..."

...Huh?

You blinked in confusion, almost shaking your head in disbelief.

"Rengoku-san?" You think you saw Kaede scoot towards you a little. "I...I did not expect you to drop by."

The man took it upon himself to walk to you, bowing his head when he stood before you.

"I apologize," he said with a frown. You hoped you hadn't upset him with your comment. "I was passing by the area upon returning to my home. I recalled that Urokodaki had said you lived somewhere in Meguro. Although, it was a coincidence that I did find the Fujihara compound."

For a brief moment, you wondered how Urokodaki remembered such detail about your abode but quickly recalled that he had visited before with his master in the past. Still, to have remembered.

"I see," you smiled at the man. "Do you live nearby, Rengoku-san? It would be such bad luck if we never ran into each other before then if you do."

He shook his head, "I live in another part of Tokyo. Setagaya."

"Ah, I see. To the southwest," you nodded. "That makes sense."

"I apologize again," he mumbled, "it appears that I have interrupted your teaching."

You sighed, motioning him not to worry. "It's alright. Training has... paused for the moment," you glanced at Kaede, who seemed to stiffen when Rengoku shifted his gaze to him. "Kaede-kun is in a bit of a rough spot. I'm trying to find ways to help him overcome his challenge. Although..."

He nodded, not needing you to finish to understand what you were trying to say.

"Are you perhaps not finding the right motivations for this?" He directed the question to Kaede.

The younger man scrunched his brows close, frowning slightly.

"I don't quite get what you mean, Rengoku-san..."

The Flame Hashira crossed his arms. "What is fueling you to learn? Are you putting significant effort into your training?"

"...Of...course I am!" Kaede rebutted, looking flustered. "I'm trying my best here! This is all just really new...! I've never had to do this kind of stuff."