Silver and Cold

Începe de la început

The next morning, Visaera woke before dawn, clawing at her neck and screaming as Daeron Targaryen wrapped his hands around her throat. It took her a moment to remember that her uncle was dead, and she was safe in her quarters. With a huff of frustration, she tore herself from bed and dressed, securing her hair back in a messy braid and dawning her riding leathers. Her wounds still plagued her, but she needed to get out of the fucking keep before she went mad.

Riding from the keep with Ser Jaunton at her side, Visaera made her way directly to the Dragonpit. As her mother had assured her days before, Carrion had been waiting for her. The black dragon seemed to mirror her feelings, letting out a huge roar of discontent as he pushed off and they ascended over the city. The moment they passed over the bay, Carrion was flying at full speed, twisting and looping about as Visaera allowed him to enjoy a few hours of freedom.

When the sun rose, Visaera commanded him southwest, touching down somewhere in the Kingswood and allowing Carrion to fish in the river. Laying on her back in the dirt, Visaera closed her eyes and listened to the birds sing, remembering the last time she had been in the Kingswood, before she claimed her dragon. So much had changed and she felt more lost than ever.

Even though she didn't want to, she found herself thinking about Aemond again, unsure of the feelings that accompanied the thoughts. On one hand, she had to commend him for being both clever and determined. After all, she had been the one to tell him that if he wanted something, he needed to take it. On the other hand, he had purposely manipulated her and Aegon both, ruining their chance at a healthy relationship in the process.

Visaera knew Aegon wasn't blameless in the situation, he had chosen to dally with women while she was on Dragonstone. But the princess also understood his need to fill the hole that her absence had left behind. Both of them were so similar in that way, they turned to self-destruction when they were hurting. As if her body was reacting to the thought, Visaera picked at the edges of her nails as she lost herself in contemplation.

When Visaera returned from her flight, she marched through the keep, determine to finally find some closure. She found Aegon with Grand Maester Gerardys, reading through scrolls. It seemed that the prince was taking his new role serving her mother seriously.

"Grand Maester, if I could have a moment with my uncle, please."

"Of course, princess," he replied with a bow, closing the door as he left the room. Visaera didn't bother to take a seat; she wasn't going to stay long, and Aegon still hadn't looked at her. She realized at that moment that she would never again see that look in his lavender eyes that she had loved so much.

"I'm so sorry, Aegon," she finally sighed, tears springing in her eyes the moment she spoke. "I'm sorry for everything I've put you through. I was so selfish—"

"You likely saved my life in the throne room; I owe you a great deal of—"

"That's not what I mean, Aegon." Visaera replied, already feeling exhausted by the conversation. If only she could make him understand how much she loved him, how sorry she was for her mistakes; for hurting him. "I—"

The door flew open with a bang and Aemond stood in the archway, staring at the pair of them, annoyance written all over his face. Visaera merely blinked her eyes and inhaled a deep breath threw her nose. She didn't have the energy to deal with his jealousy at the moment.

"I haven't seen you for days... You refuse to see me, but you'll speak to Aegon?" he snarled as he stepped into the room. Rolling her eyes, Visaera merely huffed and pushed past him and out of the room, unwilling to be pulled into an argument in front of Aegon. She was nearly halfway down the corridor before Aemond caught up with her, catching her by the wrist and spinning her about to face him.