He turned as if feeling my eyes on him, and for a second I saw the piercing blue- prominent even from this far away. I quickly ducked down, hiding my head as I witnessed him turn and whisper something to his father- no doubt it was about me.

Heart racing, I lay crouched behind the hedge, waiting until I heard the sound of feet entering the house. From the open windows, I heard Mrs. Garnet exclaim in joy as she saw Mr. Caldwell- To be honest I knew nothing of my families relationship with the Caldwell's, but from the sound of her voice they must have been friends of some sort.

I stood up, satisfied that they were gone, and let out a small shriek as I came face to face (or rather face to chest) with Victor Caldwell. I had not heard him approach, for such a tall boy he made no noise- as if he were a ghost.

It was then at that moment I regretted my ugly attire, and in shame (half from the clothes half from my hiding from him), I hid my face as best I could in my blond curls.

"I am terribly sorry sir-" I muttered, quickly rushing past him, but he grabbed my arm sternly and spoke:

"It is very rude to leave so suddenly, Miss Garnet. Have you learned nothing of proper manners in your small life henceforth?"

I looked up, insulted, and I lost all my shyness. Indeed, if he had been kind to me, I would have still been shy to him. But if anyone were to be rude to me, I would step up to the fight- such was an unladylike flaw of mine.

"I'll have you know sir, I have plenty of manners but only to those who deserve them."

He had not expected my reply to be so harsh, and he had not expected my sudden change in character. However, he soon recovered from this shock and said simply, "You have not changed much since I last met you."

"And you seem to have changed greatly, but I would not know because to be quite frank- I have not thought of you for four years."

"But you think of me now?"

"Of course, you stand in front of me and I must reflect on your past nature and contrast and compare."

"I have done the same and find you still a wild uncivil thing, hardly a girl at all."

"You barely know me, sir."

"I know enough," he said, brusquely bowing and turning away from me. He began to head towards the house and I called after him.

"It is very rude to leave so suddenly, sir. Have you learned nothing of proper manners in your small life henceforth?"

He stopped, turning around with a smirk on his face, "I'll have you know Miss Garnet, I have plenty of manners but only to those who deserve them."

With that he headed back to the front door and into the house, leaving me quite shocked and with much to reflect upon. I did not know if I liked his character or not- and I did not know of his feelings for me. But either way, I felt we both held some small respect for the other- his speck a lot smaller than mine.

            Holding my book to my chest, I turned and headed to a part of the garden where I was sure not to be disturbed again.

However, I was soon disturbed from my reading by Bertha, the only one who knew my favorite hiding spots in Springhedge (and this was all very well because there's no one I'd rather be found by).

"Mr. and Mrs. Garnet request you to join them and the Caldwell's for dinner."

"I will not," I replied sternly.

"And why not? You will be extremely rude by denying them! Mr. Garnet is mad enough at you as it is- could you not try to please him?"

"It is not simply because I dislike company- it is because I do not like the look of Mr. Victor Caldwell."

"And why not? He is a lovely and learned young man- respectable and wise- especially for his age- but five and ten!"

"I am sure to you his character is perfectly amiable, but to me it is not. We spoke but a few words to each other about an hour ago- and he was blunt and quite rude."

"Were you rude to him?"

"Well yes, but only because he started it!"

"Do you not know how childish you are?" Bertha sighed, grabbing my arm and pulling me up, "End this now."

"But Bertha you do not understand, I don't think I shall live if I have to sit through dinner with him- and then forced to sit with him in the parlor afterwards- I could not bear it!"

Bertha laughed, as if understanding my dilemma more than I myself did, and she turned to me with a small smile, "Let's make a deal. Come to dinner, don't speak much, fidget a tiny bit, then excuse yourself by saying you are sick and head straight to your room."

            "Oh Bertha you kind hearted soul, thank you!" I went to her and hugged her, then followed her back into the house.

On the way to the dining room Bertha constantly tried to fix my hair and straighten my dress, but I waved her off saying, "These are not the kind of people I would bother to look well around."

When I entered, all eyes were upon me, so I lifted my chin high and walked to my seat without a word, ignoring the ever piercing eyes of Victor Caldwell. Mr. Garnet was obviously angered at my appearance, but it was his fault, frankly. He was the one who demanded I come to dinner in the first place.

"I see you enjoy the outdoors, Miss Garnet," Mr. Caldwell said eventually after a long uncomfortable silence.

"I do," I responded curtly, feeling no need to elaborate.

Eventually, after a longer moment of silence than the first, Mr. Caldwell again tried to start conversation.

"Do you play, Miss Garnet?"

"I do not," was my response. I did not hide my annoyance and Mrs. Garnet nudged me in earnest. Mr. Caldwell paid no mind to it, I doubt he realized my tone of voice anyways.

"Why ever not?" he said in shock.

"I could not be bothered, sir."

"But every lady plays!"

"Miss Garnet is not a lady," was the interjection of Victor Caldwell.

In anger, I promptly responded, "There is no time for frivolous things such as playing and singing when one could be bettering her own mind."

"You read nothing but fantasy stories and poems, you fill your head with nonsense that could better only a fool!" Mr. Garnet practically screamed at me.

"It seems then I was wrong in judging your character," Victor replied, "Not only are you not a lady, you're a child still."

I stood up in frustration, "Perhaps because I have been raised around such horrible people, that I attempt not to grow up and become one of them!"

"Sit back down," Mr. Garnet hissed.

"No, I will not! I refuse to keep company with such horrible people as will judge and hate me on only a few words. I may be a child, but I am wiser than all of you, for children see what adults are blind to."

I then headed directly for the door, not thinking of the shame it would be to leave so suddenly and rudely.

"Sit. Back. Down. Now." Mr. Garnet hissed again.

Mrs. Garnet sent a pleading look in my direction, but I ignored it. I left the room and immediately marched towards the stairs, but before I could retreat all the way up them I managed to hear a last remark from Victor Caldwell...

            "It seems that her deadly sin is pride."