Chapter 2 - Story for Another Time

One month ago.

    "Good morning, Captain Nash." Natalie said as she stood in the doorway of his office.

    "Good morning... Natalie, right?" Bobby looked up from the papers he was working through.

    "That's me." she took a step into the room and he gestured for her to take a seat in one of the chairs.

    "Finally making the jump from B shift to A shift, huh?" he asked as she sat down, "I hear you've been promoted to Lieutenant."

    "Yes sir."

    "Bobby is fine. Or Cap, if you prefer." he offered a smile. He went on discussing her new position and what it entailed. The conversation lasted for about twenty minutes before he got up to shake her hand, "Welcome aboard."

    "Thank you, Cap." she grinned. She had been waiting for this day since she first started at the 118.

    Bobby was quite the reserved captain. He mostly kept to himself. Recently his sponsor has been suggesting that he meets new people and tries new things, but he wasn't necessarily ready for the emotional attachment that came along with. He'd rather just leave emotions aside and just focus on his work. With that, he still had certain desires and urges, as everyone does.

    After their meeting, Bobby led Natalie up the stairs of the familiar firehouse and over to the table, "Everyone, you know Natalie Huxley from B shift... She's our new Lieutenant. I trust you will make her feel welcomed?"

    "Hux! I didn't know you were getting promoted!" Buck smiled over at her, "I guess we'll be seeing more of each other."

    "It appears that way, Buckley." Natalie crossed her arms. She rolled her eyes at the obvious comment, "Anyways, I'm glad to be here and to start working with you all."

    "Good to have you." Eddie nodded without looking up from his phone.

    "Something interesting you've got there Diaz?"

    "Just texting my son. He's home sick today." Eddie set his phone down on the table.

    "What class does he have a test in this time?" Buck rolled his eyes. Buck and Eddie were the best of friends, and there's was nothing that could keep them apart. In fact, they were at each other's apartments almost every night.

    "Spanish. Go figure." Eddie laughed, "Mi hijo no sabe español, imagínate."

    "I have no clue what you just said... But it sounded cool!" Buck beamed.

    "Ay ay ay." Eddie shook his head in disbelief, "Tú es tonto."

    "Ok, enough berating Buck in Spanish." Bobby let out a chuckle as he patted Natalie on the shoulder, "Get to know your new team." With that, he turned and made his way back down to his office.

    "About time we get another female around here. There's too much... Testosterone." Hen laughed as Natalie sat down opposite of her, "In all seriousness though, welcome."

    "Thank you... Henrietta Wilson, right?" Natalie questioned.

    "We just call her Hen." Chimney piped up.

    "I'm sorry... I can't recall your name." Natalie tapped her finger on her lips as she thought long and hard about it.

    "It's Howard Han. But everyone just calls me Chimney."

    "Where on earth do they get Chimney from Howard Han?"

    "Well you see..." Hen started but was cut off by Chimney clearing his throat, "I guess that's a story for another time."

    "It's ok, I still don't know why he's called Chimney either." Eddie shrugged.