Prologue

Paroah Marleigh

It was a languid Sunday, and I was lazily lounging at home with my daughter Parish when my secretary's urgent call disrupted our serene afternoon. She informed me of a woman in labor, and given the absence of any other available physicians, I had no option but to entrust my daughter with my mother who resided close by. Rushing to get dressed and prepared, Parish asked, "Mommy, where are you going?"

"I have to go to the hospital, honey. There's a woman who needs my help," I explained. I knew she understood because she knows that I am an obstetrician-gynecologist.

Parish looked worried. "Mabilis ka namang babalik, 'di ba?"

"I'll try to be back as soon as I can. Don't worry, andito naman si Grandma para alagaan ka," I assured her with a quick hug before heading out the door.

Upon arrival, I hurriedly made my way to the delivery room. Inside, I was taken aback to find my ex-husband and father of the child, Lloyd Iander, looking as irritating as ever. A bit flustered, I attempted to focus on my patient while wondering if Lloyd had brought his new girlfriend or wife to the delivery room. Despite the tension between us, I pushed my personal feelings aside and centered on helping the mother deliver her baby.

The delivery proved challenging, and I could sense Lloyd's nervous energy from across the room. As I worked to assist in guiding the baby out, the intensity of the moment grew palpable. Finally, a healthy baby boy was born, and the mother was doing well. As I helped clean them up and provided instructions, I could feel Lloyd's eyes on me.

Upon leaving the delivery room, I saw him once more, and a pang of sadness swept over me as memories of our years together came flooding back. We exchanged pleasantries, but an unmistakable tension lingered between us. As I prepared to head back to Parish, I realized that I left something in the delivery room. Re-entering, I caught a glimpse of Lloyd staring intently at the mother, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of jealousy rising inside me. I also couldn't shake off the fear of what might happen if he learned the truth about Parish.

Hey there! Just wanted to give you a heads up that this is my first time writing fiction, so please bear with me and be patient. There may be some grammatical errors or typos along the way, but I'll do my best to catch them. Thanks for your understanding!