She ran her fingers over the sheets of the bed, inhaling Aegon's scent and regretting the moment she left. If she had stayed, Luke would be alive...

"What are you doing here, Visaera?" She started at the sound of his voice, her eyes settling on him in the darkness. He was standing at the edge of the window, a cup of wine in his hand.

"Aegon," she breathed his name with relief, in spite of the circumstances. It had been months since she laid eyes on him and yet all she wanted to do was throw herself at him. His arm was still bandaged, as hers was, and she found it ironic that both of them bore similar wounds.

"What are you doing here?" he repeated, finally turning to face her. He looked like he hadn't slept in days and his eyes were cold when they finally met hers; Visaera instinctively took a step back. "What do you want?" he asked stiffly.

"I..." What did she want? She should be alone in her quarters, cursing them all, and yet she was standing in his room, staring at him like an idiot.

"Get out," he told her, turning back to the window.

"Aegon," she breathed, closing the distance between them.

"Don't fucking touch me," he hissed, pulling out of her reach.

"You have no right to be angry with me," she told him, "Did you really think I would just hide away in the keep forever? I wanted—"

"You wanted? Right, you wanted!" he yelled, throwing the cup across the room and making her jump. "Everything is always about what Visaera wants." He closed the distance between them, eyes burning, and wrapped his hand around her throat. "I've done everything you've fucking asked me to. I went to treat with your bitch of a mother and will bear scars for the rest of my life, and for what? A spoiled, selfish cunt who abandons me every fucking chance she gets? Who attacks my fucking family?"

"You killed my brother!" she answered with a glare. Aegon laughed coldly, shaking his head. Visaera had always known he had a cruel streak, just as his brother did, but she had never felt the brunt of it before. Now it was written all over his face.

"I didn't kill Lucerys. Your idiot brothers attacked the fleet and, as King, I defended my people. How could you expect any less of me? I may just be the usurper in your familiy's eyes, but I still have duties to the people. Your fool of a brother flew beneath a falling mast that knocked him and his dragon into the bay. It's funny... I nearly dove in to help him... for you... Now I'm glad I didn't." he sneered. Her jaw dropped and she slapped him clean across the cheek, her blood burning like fire at his words.

Aegon snarled and gripped her hair in his fist, spinning her about and pinning her over the table, scattering the contents and slamming the side of her face into the wood.

"Aegon—" she gasped, shocked that he would ever handle her in such a manner; the side of her face aching.

"Why are you here?" he hissed. "After two months you finally deign to visit me? Have you grown so bored with my brother?" Visaera struggled against his hold, fighting the tears that sprang into her eyes. That wasn't it at all; he hadn't come to visit her, either...

He leaned over her, pressed his nose to her neck, and inhaled deeply. "You still smell like citrus," he breathed in her ear, nuzzling her temple. "Is that why you're here, Vis? You want me to touch you, is that it?" he sneered, running his free hand over her shoulder and down the side of her ribs.

Visaera shook her head frantically, but already Aegon's words were making heat pool between her legs. Seven hells, what the fuck was wrong with her? The grip on her hair softened as he continued to trace the contours of her jaw with his nose. "None of this would have happened if you had married me all those months ago..." he whispered. Tears welled in her eyes as the words sliced through her. And then Aegon released her completely and stepped away.