ꨄ︎ 00

the sun descended slowly, painting the sky in hues of vibrant fuchsia and auburn as it sluggishly sank below the horizon.

you sat on the ledge of an abandoned apartment complex, legs dangled leisurely over the nauseating height. your gaze travelled to the ground below, watching in silence as the last trickle of city z's sparse population made their way home, unaware of your presence so far above them.

with a sigh, you cautiously eased yourself away from the edge and rose to your feet, satisfied with enough people watching for one day.

the serenity of your usual evening routine was all too suddenly brought to an end by an almost deafening crash, your own shocked yelp drowned out by the commotion.

your hands flung hurriedly to the fence in front of you, fingers clinging to the metal for dear life as the whole building shook. you searched frantically for whatever had caused such a tremor, but only dust and debris clouded your vision.

a gaping maw suddenly emerged from below, several rows of sharp teeth appearing out of the smoke. a slimy claw slammed into the structure, causing it to jolt dangerously and eliciting another terrified scream from you, barely keeping your balance.

the creature raised its horrifying head to your level. multiple hungry eyes bore into your trembling figure as saliva dripped from its jaws. agonisingly slowly, it leaned in closer, jaw unhinging as it readied itself for its next meal. you squeezed your eyes shut tight as it's hot breath fanned over you, preparing yourself for the inevitable.

a terrible thud resounded throughout the air, and yet the pain never came.

"guess that monster really fell for you, huh? badum-tiss"

your eyes shot open, head whipping wildly to the source of the voice.

beside you stood a man donned in a yellow costume, a white cape floating in the wind behind him. maybe you were in shock from almost being eaten alive, or maybe it was the way the last of the sun's rays shone so beautifully down on him, but you were sure you had never seen someone so amazing in your life.

"it's a bit dangerous to keep hanging around up here, don't you think? let's get you down kid."

and just like that you were stood on the sidewalk, watching with still wide eyes as your hero casually sauntered away, as if he hadn't just saved your life - as if he didn't just decimated a giant monster with such ease. the gory remnants it's massive body lay just meters behind you, but you couldn't care any less about it now.

for the first time in years, you felt alive.

you quickly snapped out of your awe-struck stupor, finally finding your voice as you called out to the mysterious stranger.

"ah- um- excuse me!"

the man stopped in his tracks, turning his head over his shoulder in vague acknowledgment, "yeah?"

"who are you?" you managed out, hands clasped tightly to your chest.

"me?" he replied, "i'm saitama. just your average guy that's a hero for fun."

you took a step closer to him, once empty eyes now sparkling with admiration.

"saitama-san, please! let me be your disciple!"

.
.
.

"HUH!?"