CHAPTER 1

Walking down the dusty part leading to the market, 12 yr old Hannatu wobbles on the path as she hawked freshed vegetables sought out by her Mama the previous night. She was the third born out of her five siblings. The eldest, Adamu was 20 yrs old and was a local shoemaker in the village. Her 18yrs old sister Asmau helped in cleaning other's houses for money and there was Abba who was 7 yrs old and did nothing but play all day with the baby of the house, Maryam who was 3yrs and was fondly called Nana by everyone. Then there was her Mama, the sweetest person she knew, who could lay down her life for her children if needed. Her Papa on the other hand was nothing to write home about. He was a sleazy drunkard who spent any spare change he had in Papa Ismail's beer parlor. He contributed nothing to the family. In less than ten minutes,
Hannatu had reached the market. She sat under the mango tree and dropped the tray of vegetables on the ground. She particularly preferred that spot because she  always gets lots of customers from that side.
             By 6pm, she placed her empty tray on her head and headed home. On getting home, she heard a angry shout in the house. It couldn't be papa because he never gets home early, she thought. On getting closer, she recognized the voice and sighed deeply. It was Aunty Talatu! Aunty Talatu was her Papa's elder sister. They always hated her visits because she only comes to scold them and insult Mama but the fact is everyone knew she hated them because they were all Christians while she was a Muslim. Papa came from an Islamic family but he married Mama who was a Christian. No one in his family really cared about that except of course, Aunty Talatu. She disturbed him day and night to send her away but she refused. Her hatred for Mama grew over the years but she adored Hannatu and her siblings who at that time, were Muslims but one day, the neighbour who Mama leaves them with whenever she wants to go to church was not around so she had no choice but to take them along with her. When they got to the church, they were all fascinated by the singing and dancing. They later stopped covering their heads(girls) and participating in the Muslim prayers and begged Mama to take them along with her to church every Sunday. Later on, they expressed their wish to become Christians to their parents and Mama took them for baptism and they converted to Christianity. Aunty Talatu was furious when she heard it but there was nothing she could do about it so she began to hate the children as well.
       Hannatu finally stepped into the house and met a furious looking Aunt Talatu insulting her poor Mama."Ina Wuni" she muttered as she passed the little sitting room heading to the kitchen. Aunt Talatu hissed loudly"Wanene wannan, stupid girl". She ignored her and went to the kitchen. She closed the kitchen door behind her and put her ear to the door to hear what her aunt was saying. "Wallahi, Maria from the day I set my eyes on you, I knew you are a witch, you used your maita to get my brother to marry you, useless woman" she hissed, carried her bag and left banging the front wooden door behind her. As soon as she left, Mama broke into tears. Everyone including Hannatu came out to console her. She hated her aunty for making her Mama cry. Few hours later, after their dinner of Tuwo and Miyan, they all laid on their mats ready to sleep when they heard a loud bang. They all ran out worried to meet Papa by the front door. He had probably collapsed. Mama sighed and carried him inside. He groaned and stirred and after some time, she was able to get him on his mat.

Hi everyone,
This is my first time writing a story and I want y'all to show some love
Sorry,the first chapter is short but I promise the next one will be longer.
So here's what we're gonna do, if I can get up to 100 votes on this, I promise to post the next chapter.
Bye!!