𝑥𝑖𝑖. Bye-Bye Grandma

༻✿༺

          On a Sunday evening, Sabrina's out on the driveway with her brother, impatiently leaning against the hood of the Vista Cruiser, and waiting for Red and Kitty to escort Bernice out of the house

          On a Sunday evening, Sabrina's out on the driveway with her brother, impatiently leaning against the hood of the Vista Cruiser, and waiting for Red and Kitty to escort Bernice out of the house. As is a common occurrence, the old woman had dinner with them and, to no one's surprise, she gave both Eric and Sabrina the biggest headache ever with her constant demeaning words to Kitty. Sabrina's only glad she was able to keep her cool in there and not lash out at her. Something like that would only make things more difficult for her mother.

          Red arrives, at last, with Bernice in tow, and he opens the car door for her. Before she can settle inside, Kitty jogs over with some Tupperware. "Oh, um, here Bernice. I–I made you a plate of leftovers."

          "Oh, thank you," she replies dismissively and turns to face Red. "Oh, that reminds me. Red, my garbage disposal is still broken."

          Sabrina clenches her jaw, biting the inside of her cheek as she glares daggers at the side of the woman's face. Eric seems to sense her bubbling rage, so he hurriedly seizes her arm and drags her further to the other side where the driver's seat is. "Just a little bit more. You've been doing great tonight," he lets out in a worried whisper.

          "Just a little bit more seems like too long," she sneers, the irritation spreading through her body like wildfire for the thousandth time.

          Kitty still puts on a smile, albeit heavily strained, for Bernice. "Well, just as long as you enjoy it."

          "Listen, I've got an idea," Bernice pipes up. "Let's eat out next Sunday. That way, everybody can get something they like."

          Eric notices his sister is just about ready to explode and raises his voice. "Okay, Grandma, time to get you home!"

          He pushes Sabrina into the driver's seat and gets comfortable beside her so that he will be between her and their grandmother, for safety reasons. She turns the engine on instantly, and this catches Red's attention. "Sabrina, you gotta warm that car up for at least ten minutes!"

          Bernice pats Red's cheek. "Oh, your Sabrina could be such a decent girl. It's just a shame she doesn't have a better home life." Sabrina grips the steering wheel tighter to the point where her knuckles turn white, forcing herself to keep her mouth shut. When Bernice enters the car, Kitty rests the Tupperware on her lap, and at the sight of her, she instantly begins to lecture. "Uh, you know, Kitty, when I was raising children, the right way to—"

          Kitty slams the door shut so roughly that it leaves an echo, effectively cutting Bernice's words off. Sabrina internally applauds her for that. Red slants forward. "That's warm enough, honey."

          "Didn't you just say—?"

          "Show me tail lights!"

          Sabrina nods without reluctance. "Yes, sir!"