Viserys the Peaceful

Start from the beginning

Visaera's legs finally gave out and she sank to the floor, biting her fist and stifling a sob. She remained there, leaning back against the wall, until the light of dawn poured into the castle, illuminating the passageway. Only when she heard the sounds of Alarya in her chambers did she pull herself up off the floor and stumble through the threshold into her rooms.

The princess did not eat. Despite her efforts, every time she took a bite, the food tasted of ash and she could not swallow. Pushing her plate away, she returned to her bed and pulled the covers up over her head, half-hoping the blanket would suffocate her.

"Princess? I looked into what you asked—" Alarya squealed as Visaera reached out and yanked her into the bed, pulling the covers over them.

"And?"

"Her name is Brielle, she is seven," Alarya answered.

"Seven..." Visaera took a moment to process what Alarya was telling her. "Why would Larys use a child to spy—"

"They're easy to manipulate. She's been here for two years, according to the kitchen maid I spoke to. After the King took to bed..."

"Can we use her?" Alarya shook her head.

"She lost her family years ago, Lord Larys has been providing for her ever since. What could we offer?"

"Mm," Visaera chewed on the edge of her nail and laid her head on Alarya's shoulder.

"Where were you last night?"

"With Aemond," she answered simply. Alarya was not blind, immediately noticing the question put Visaera on edge.

"What happened?" The princess laughed ruefully.

"I fucked up," she answered, "the way I usually do. I think it's all I know how to do, cause trouble..."

"I've known you for more than six years," Alarya replied, "and I can assure you that is absolutely true." Visaera laughed and nudged her shoulder.

The pair remained in bed for the majority of the afternoon and Visaera found comfort in the arms of her friend. Alarya held her while she finally choked out what had happened with Aegon, rubbing warm strokes of reassurance across Visaera's back.

"Aegon asks a valid question..." Alarya finally murmured, combing her fingers through Visaera's hair. "Do you love Aemond?"

"I don't know." Visaera replied, "I know we have a connection, I just... I don't know if it's love or something else..." When Visaera's stomach growled, Alarya forced her out of bed and dressed her for supper.

Outside of her chambers, Aemond caught her around the waist, pulling her close and nuzzling her ear.

"Where have you been all day?" he enquired, inhaling against her hair and making her shiver.

"Hiding from the consequences of my actions," she admitted softly as they began to walk to supper.

"I assumed you were with—" Visaera shook her head and a long silence followed.

"He won't even speak to me..." The moment she said the words, her eyes flooded with tears and she had to blink them away.

"Perhaps that's for the best, then..." She stared at him in dismay. "I'm going to speak to my mother tonight... I still intend to marry you." Visaera's mouth fell open in a very unladylike manner and Aemond had to chuck her under the chin to make her close it.

"Why would you—"

"I told you yesterday..." Then he spun her about, patted her on the rear, and walked her to her seat. The way he physically handled her made her blush and Visaera was grateful the Queen had not yet arrived.