Give Me Your Fire

Start from the beginning

"I let my anger get the better of me. I'm sorry Vis, I don't wish to hurt you. Not ever... This is yours." Aemond said as he produced the comb from his pocket.

"I don't want it," she ground out, glaring at the ceiling.

"I got it for you when we were twelve years old, I meant for you to have it." Visaera shook her head, refusing to take it. "Listen to me for a moment, Vis, just listen... Put yourself in my shoes. If I called your mother a bitch in front of you, would you have lashed out?" The princess bit her tongue, knowing full well she would have. "You're a dragon, like me. You know full well we are stone or fire, there's no in-between. Not when it comes to our tempers."

Again, she remembered how quickly she had lost her mind when Aegon had baited her with his comments to Baela. "I love you, Visaera." Her heart jumped into her throat but, still, she refused to look at him.

"No, you don't," she choked out, shaking her head.

"I do, Vis." Clenching her jaw, she remained silent. "Vis, look at me..." He reached for her hand, rubbing circles over her skin. "Visaera, please..." Finally, she dropped her eyes from the ceiling, meeting his violet one. "I love you." Flipping her hand over, he stroked his fingers across the fresh scar on her hand. "I meant every word..."

"And yet, you can't protect me from yourself..." she replied, chewing on her bottom lip. "How can you say you love me?"

"Do you think I like seeing you in my brother's bed? I tolerate it because your happiness means more to me than my own." Despite the way his words softened her resolve, she continued to glare at him.

"I don't think you're in a place to tolerate anything, Aemond. Your mother dissolved out betrothal." Other than his jaw clenching, he showed no sign that her word affected him. After a moment, she sighed. "I accept your apology, Aemond, but I don't forgive you, not right now..."

"I'll have to figure out a way to earn it, I suppose..." Then he tightened his grip on her hand and spun her about, pushing the comb into her hair. "I will figure out a way to earn it..." His lips parted and placed a kiss on the side of her neck, making her shiver in spite of herself, and then he silently left the room. Long after he was gone, Visaera leaned against the edge of her bed, silently cursing herself for the mess she had made.

To Visaera's relief, the Queen remained occupied for the night and Helaena invited her for supper in her chambers. Dining with her aunt was a completely different experience from the chaos of her family suppers. There were long pauses of silence, but they weren't uncomfortable.

"Have you spoken to Aemond, yet?" Visaera snorted and gave her a withering look.

"I don't want to talk to him, Hel. In the same breath, he called me a cunt and my mother a whore." Helaena nodded.

"Yes, he told me. He is quite fierce when it comes to protecting our mother, but he feels awful."

"Your mother doesn't need protecting," Visaera replied with a roll of her eyes. "He... Aemond told me he loves me, but..."

"But?" Helaena prodded.

"I was gone for six years and he didn't even mention me, and yet he said he picked out this comb when we were twelve because he thought it would be the perfect gift..."

"Why do you think that?"

"Think what?" Visaera asked.

"That he didn't mention you while you were gone," her aunt clarified.

"Your mother and brother said as much." When Helaena laughed, Visaera's eyebrows knitted in confusion, and the longer she laughed, the more confused Visaera became.