"Why not?" he prodded, licking over her bottom lip, enjoying the way she gasped as his mouth moved against hers.

"Aemond..." she breathed, pulling away from him, desperately trying to keep her wits about her.

"You don't know my brother as well as you think," he answered. "He would have carried you out of here if he wanted to be sure you'd leave."

"So, you're saying he's consenting to me remaining here with you? Why would he do that?" Aegon shrugged.

"Aemond has reasoning for everything he does; don't ask me what they are." Her fingers reached for her mouth and Aegon caught hold of her hand. "Stop that..."

His hands were on her; his eyes gazing down at her as if the last week had never happened. Visaera swallowed the lump in her throat, feeling guiltier with each passing second.

"I should go, Aegon," she sighed. "I've already caused enough trouble to last a lifetime. I just needed you to know the truth..." She retreated back into the passageway, wondering if her honesty had been worth it; if easing Aegon's pain had ruined her betrothal in the process...

Visaera did not sleep. She tossed and turned feeling worse with every passing hour. By the time the light of dawn peeked through her windows, she had worried her fingers raw and her bleeding had begun. It wasn't punishment enough. She hated herself for making such a mess of things. Every decision she had made had taken things from bad to worse and now she didn't know if anything was salvageable.

She changed into a pair of leathers and pulled on a tunic, intending to watch the sunrise from the gardens. As she pulled open her door, however, it seemed Aemond had other ideas.

"You're here?" he asked by way of greeting.

"Yes," she replied, not knowing what else to say.

"You look tired."

"I am..." she responded.

"I had thought you'd be with my brother," he added, "I went there first." She shook her head.

"I didn't stay after you left," she answered.

"Aegon said as much. Why didn't you?"

"I couldn't..." she admitted. "I shouldn't have been there in the first place, I just... I didn't want to see him hurting anymore..." She ran her fingers over the wood of her door, waiting for him to say something, anything... When she received no response, she risked a glance up at him. "Do you hate me?" He let out an exasperated chuckle.

"No," he finally answered.

"Do you want to end our betrothal?" she asked, chewing her lip. It was already raw but the taste of her blood didn't bother her.

"No," he answered again, sounding more irritated.

"So, what do you want?" she asked softly. He took a deep breath, and then slowly let it out, looking like he was going to regret his reply.

"I want to make you happy, Visaera. I want our union to be something you want, not something you need because of some fucking promise I made." He held out his palm to her, the thick line still scabbed over. "This means something to me, Visaera..."

At that moment, she realized she truly was the worst person in the world. Aemond had already done so much for her and she had abandoned him the moment he made her angry.

"It... Whether you believe it or not, it means something to me, too, Aemond. It does. Aegon and I hust have a history that's hard to let go of." She still hadn't looked him in the eye. How could she face him after acting like a spoiled brat?