The Princess and Her Uncles

Start from the beginning

"If Aemond hurt you, I need to know now," Daemon growled, rounding on her the moment they entered her quarters. His accusation shocked her.

"Why would you even think such a thing?" she asked, "I told you, it was my fault."

"I'm trying to protect you—"

"I don't need protection. I can handle myself! If you must know, Aegon kissed me and I hit him, alright? That's how I broke my fucking finger!" Daemon blinked at her for a moment, and then a prideful grin spread across his face.

"You broke your finger hitting Prince Aegon?" he clarified.

"Please don't tell mother!" she begged, "She doesn't need to know I've hit both of my uncles in less than a week. She'll be livid." Daemon continued to smile at her and then shook his head in amusement.

"She won't hear it from me," he assured her, kissing the top of her head and leaving her to bathe before supper. Alarya only had her in her shift when Helaena came bursting into the room unannounced.

"Fucking hells," Visaera breathed, trying to cover herself.

"Please, dear niece. We have all the same parts," Helaena offered with a smile and a roll of her eyes. Her aunt was dressed in a lilac gown and her eyes were bright and clear. In fact, her aunt looked better than she had seen her in a long while. "Mother has asked that you dine with us and I promised her I'd retrieve you. Come on, get dressed."

Helaena didn't even bother to turn around while Visaera and Alarya finished dressing her. She chose a deep purple dress and her aunt offered to lace her up while her handmaid finished her hair.

As she sat and let them work, Visaera's eyes fell on the tiny silver necklace on the vanity table and she ran her fingers over the tiny doe, remorse hitting her like a wall of stone. She hadn't wanted to hit Aegon; she hated herself for striking him.

For years, they had been one another's only constant, and in less than a moon's time, she had hit him twice. Her temper was beginning to be a problem and she wondered if things could ever be as easy as they were when they were children.

Before she left for dinner, she clasped the doe around her neck, fighting the urge to run to Aegon and beg his forgiveness. It was she that didn't deserve him; not the other way around...

"I thought your mother wanted me to join you for supper?" she hissed at Helaena when they entered her aunt's quarters and the Queen was absent from the table.

"Yes, she wanted you to join us for supper," Helaena replied as if it made perfect sense. She didn't feel up to dining alone with the Queen's children, but she didn't much have a choice with Helaena leading her by the hand.

Her bum never reached the chair, Visaera froze when she caught sight of Aegon. In addition to the newly-forming bruise she had given him, he now had a split lip.

"What happened?" The prince gave her a wary look and then took another long gulp from his wine glass. A feigned look of innocence on Aemond's face was answer enough. She didn't know why, but the thought that Aemond had hit his brother made her blood boil, despite the fact that she had done the same thing.

"Outside, now," she gritted out, glaring at Aemond. He raised an eyebrow as if to tell her he didn't find her intimidating in the least but still followed her from the room. In the corridor, she rounded on him.

"Why did you hit him?"

"You hit him," he countered, sounding completely uninterested in the conversation.

"Yes, I hit him. He kissed me, and already suffered the consequences. You didn't need to do anything."

"You're to be my wife," he sneered, "You think I'll allow anyone to touch what's mine without permission?" Her skin was crawling at the possessive, dangerous tone in his voice.