"I must've been long odds."

"Oh, horrible odds. If I had any common sense then, I would have told Maxwell no but he convinced me to take a chance on love and that the Prince was truly falling for you. He thought that might be enough to make you queen. And I suppose it turns out that I'm glad I trusted him."

"Maybe you should trust him more often." Riley crosses her arms and gives Bertrand a playful yet serious smile.

"Yes... I suppose perhaps I should. Now, are we done with questions?"

"Well... one more. Bertrand... what happens after tonight?"

"Either you win Prince Liam's hand, or House Beaumont faces ruination."

"Let's go with the happy scenario."

"I'd like that as well. Assuming you don't win, we'll continue to work together in an informal capacity. If you do manage to pull this off, I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll do as queen."

"Bertrand, I hope I don't disappoint you as royalty."

"As queen, my disappointment will be the least of your worries."

Riley rushes over and gives him a hug, "I still value your opinion."

Bertrand clears his throat as they pull away, looking up for a second to hold back tears, "Well then, as long as you're willing to help out your sponsor now and then, you'll stave off the worst of my disappointment."

"I'll be there for you when I can."

"House Beaumont will be in your debt. Well, I'm off to ask around and see if I can discern anything about this idiotic letter. You socialize and win us a Prince."

"I'm on it. Have I ever disappointed you?"

Bertrand stares at Riley, refraining from replying.

"Lady Riley..."

"What?"

"Just... remember that you've managed to make it this far. Most nobles were saying you wouldn't last the first week. You've proven them wrong so far. What's a little more?" Bertrand bows to her and heads off into the crowd.

Riley searches the room but doesn't spot any of her friends. Then she feels a tap on her shoulder causing her to jolt around and finds Maxwell.

"Hey! I'm back. You okay?"

"Yeah. This whole letter thing is just a little weird."

"You look like you could use a break. How about we get out of here for a while and get some air."

"But Bertrand told us to stay and socialize..."

"I know, but you must be in the right frame of mind for tonight. Besides, we'll stay close. What do you say?"

"We'd better not risk it. Bertrand looks like he's one surprise away from a heart attack."

"Fair enough. I'd hate to lose him right before your moment of victory!"

Looking around the ballroom, a roguishly handsome man approaches Riley and Maxwell. He's dressed in a tux with a sash around his chest, has blonde hair, and has blue eyes.

"Hello, my lady, Lord Maxwell."

"...Leo!" Maxwell gives him a brief hug, "Where have you been?"

"Oh, you know how it is. One moment you're off wandering the Grecian ruins, then you end up on a cruise in the Mediterranean... but that's a story for another time."

"It's a pleasure to meet you... uh, Your Grace?"

"Please, just Leo."

"Why no title? Everyone here has a title. Even Drake is Lord Grumps-a-lot."