The Guilt Matrix

The Guilt Matrix

Written By: Mr. Sarcastic

---

I am Athena, and I'm a physicist. I have always been fascinated by the mysteries of the universe and the nature of reality. So, when I was offered the chance to participate in an experiment conducted by the SARC team, I eagerly accepted.

The experiment involved entering a spiral tunnel that was designed to manipulate our senses and emotions. The team wanted to study how the human mind could be manipulated and controlled.

As I descended into the tunnel, I felt a sense of unease. I had never been one for experiments that played with the mind. But I continued on, curious to see what lay ahead.

Emerging from the tunnel, I froze in my tracks at the sight before me. It was my mother, standing there, as if she had never left. My heart leapt in my chest, memories flooding back to me of the tragic accident that had taken her away. Tears streamed down my face as I ran towards her, desperate to embrace her once more. But as I drew closer, a sense of unease crept over me. Was it really her? I had to know.

"Mom, is it really you?" I choked out, my voice trembling with emotion.

Her response was soft and soothing, just like I remembered. "Yes, my dear," she said, confirming what my heart had longed for.

But as I reached out to touch her, she disappeared, replaced by a strange, otherworldly shape.

"What's going on? Where am I?" I asked, feeling a sense of panic rising within me.

"It's all an illusion, Athena," a voice said from behind me.

As I shifted my gaze, a group of scientists came into view. Each of them donned a pristine white lab coat and held a clipboard tightly in their grip. Their presence signaled to me that they were ready to observe and document every detail of the experiment at hand.

One of them spoke up, "You're a part of our experiment." Their voice was cold and clinical, devoid of any compassion. They continued, "We created the tunnel to push the boundaries of the human mind, to see how much we can bend it to our will."

I could feel my fists clenching as I struggled to maintain my composure. "But why did you have to use my dead mother?" I asked, my anger seeping through my words.

Their response only fueled my rage. "We needed to tap into your emotions, Athena. Your guilt and regret over what happened to her. It was necessary for the experiment." The words were callous, as if they couldn't comprehend the pain and trauma that they were causing.

A wave of nausea swept over me, twisting my insides as I processed the betrayal. My pain, the raw and private ache that I had shared with them in a moment of vulnerability, had been weaponized against me. My mind screamed at the injustice of it all, but my body was already reacting, urging me to flee. I took a step towards the exit, my feet carrying me towards freedom, but their hands clamped down on my shoulders, stopping me in my tracks.

My heart pounded as I took a step back, away from the group of scientists. One of them, a tall man with a stern expression, stepped forward and blocked my way. "You can't leave yet," he said firmly, his arms crossed over his chest. "We need to finish the experiment."

My palms grew clammy as I shook my head, my voice quivering. "I don't want any part of this," I managed to say.

But the scientists didn't seem to hear me. Another one, a woman with glasses perched on the tip of her nose, spoke up. "It's too late," she said in a matter-of-fact tone. "You're already in too deep." Her words sent a chill down my spine, and I realized with a sinking feeling that I was trapped.