Don't Lose Your Head

Start from the beginning

"I will sit the throne today," he informed Otto.

"Your Grace." A surge of satisfaction coursed through her when she saw the resignation on the Hand's face. Nothing pleased her more than seeing him humbled. The King continued to struggle his way up to the throne, insisting he was fine. When the crown slipped from his head and clattered on the floor, it was Daemon who stepped forward and supported his brother, replacing the crown when the King was seated. It was a rare sight, to see such a caring act from Daemon, Visaera was nearly moved to tears.

"I must... admit... my confusion." Viserys began, glancing at all the faces around the room. "I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession." At his words, Visaera grew smug, sneering across the room at Alicent and Otto. "The only one present... who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys's wishes is the Princess Rhaenys."

"Indeed, Your Grace," her grandmother offered, stepping forward to address the king. "It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his trueborn son... Jacaerys Velaryon. His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him. As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her son Jace to Lord Corlys's granddaughter, Baela. A proposal to which I heartily agree." The court broke into whispers and Visaera glanced at her sister, who smiled. She had no idea her mother had extended such an offer to Rhaenys. What else didn't she know?

"Well..." The King leaned back on the throne, appeased by the agreement. "The matter is settled. Again. I hereby reaffirm Prince Jacaerys of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides." A wide grin broke out on her face and she gave Jace's hand a squeeze. Across the room, the Queen and Hand were silent, but their dismay was written all over their faces. Aegon, at least, looked relieved by the declaration, even if his brother did not.

"You break law..." When Vaemond spoke again, the attention in the room returned to him, the ire in his voice unmistakable, "and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir. And now you dare tell me... who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon."

"Corlys Velaryon, our grandfather named Jacaerys heir to Driftmark, Lord Vaemond." Shaking from the anger his words provoked, Visaera stepped forward, her eyes burning into his, effectively shielding all of her brothers from his glare, "As my grandmother has already told you, he never wavered, not once. Do not allow your own envy to speak for you." It was a warning, one she knew he wouldn't heed, in fact, she hoped he didn't.

"Envy? I have no envy, Visaera," The way he spat her name made her want to launch herself at him. "Only disappointment, that my nephew would allow the blood of our house to return to the sea and allow this child to claim the Driftwood Throne. I will not allow it!" he snarled, turning to the king.

"Allow it"? Do not forget yourself, Vaemond." Viserys chided, leaning forward in his chair; his voice filled with warning.

"That is no true Velaryon, and certainly no nephew of mine."

"Go to your chambers," Rhaenyra commanded the children. "You have said enough!" she added, turning to Vaemond.

"Jacaerys is my true-born grandson." The king replied, "And you... are no more than the second son of Driftmark."

"You... may run your house as you see fit... but you will not decide the future of mine. My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides. And Gods be damned... I will not see it ended on the account of this..." Vaemond's face tensed as he fought to choke down the word he desperately wanted to use.

"Say it." Daemon finally urged, his voice a deadly whisper.

"Her children... are bastards!" he shouted. Half the room cringed at his words and the rest broke into frenzied whispers. "And she... is... a whοre." No warning was needed, Visaera already knew what was coming before the King leaned forward and drew his dagger, and she stepped out of the way, her eyes wide in anticipation.