ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ sᴜɴ (ᴛʟᴏᴜ)

Paring: Joel Miller × Fem!reader

Summary: Joel finally gives into your request to wash off at the nearby river. He won't get in the water, so you get creative. You just wanted to have fun for once, but Joel wasn't having it. The tension between you two break and things get heated.

Tags/Warnings: Major angst, smut, unprotected p in v, cursing, hints of enemies to lovers, protective Joel, broken Joel, kissing, and hateful bickering. (No
TLOU spoilers and no Ellie in this story.)

Word count: 1.8k

Summer is upon you

Summer is upon you. The sun is high in the sky and burns bright. It's hot and you are desperate for a way to cool down. After killing a few infected, which covered you and Joel in blood, Joel finally gave in to stop at the first sight of water to rinse off.

As the truck drives deeper into the woods you embrace the cool breeze coming through the windows. You stick one hand out and let the air feather through your fingers. It's nice when you're on the road and it's calm, these moments are hard to come by. You inhale deeply as you drop your head back against the headrest. Your feet hit the dash with a thud, but are quickly shoved down.

"Seriously?" You glare at Joel.

"I've told you before that it's dangerous." He says keeping his eyes ahead and his hands on the wheel.

"You're ridiculous,"

"You're frustrating," He gives you a side eye before returning his eyes to the path ahead. A smile wants to form on his face, but he forces it away.

"Oh? You can't tell me that you wouldn't be bored out of your mind without me around."

"I'd probably sleep peacefully for once." He says flatly.

You roll your eyes and mutter, "Whatever."

This is how it is between you two since the beginning. There haven't been many moments where you both weren't bickering or getting on each other's nerves. Secretly, you both enjoy it but will never admit it.

The truck comes to a stop and Joel shoots you a look that you're familiar with by now, the "stay here" look. You do as you're told and search for a semi-clean shirt until he returns. Your boots slip on with ease and once you get the signal from Joel you hop out of the truck and follow him to the nearby river.

"Be quick." He mutters as he swings the gun around his chest and holds it close to his body as he keeps watch.

"You aren't going to rinse off?" You ask in passing as you come to the edge of the river.

"No," He says as he turns his back to you.

"Oh, come on." You pull your blood-stained shirt over your head and drop it on the ground. You catch Joel's eyes on you for a split season, but he averts his gaze quickly.