God, Ran.

and not just Ran, but everyone in Bonten. the answer to Hanma's question is at the tip of your tongue,

what is Bonten to you?

and the first glimpse you see is you sitting down on Mikey's carpet, with the same crayons and pencils sprawled over the floor, the fireplace crackles and you are surrounded by Bonten's top echelon who scribbled like toddlers on the paper.

they are much more than just a bunch of criminals to you.

the memory of the nine of you on the carpet and the warm atmosphere—the memory almost sparks you as a home. a family.

    a disappointed sigh pulls you back to reality, "staying quiet? i thought you were more entertaining than this, Haitani. how fucking boring."

    "when i get out of here," Ran starts, pissed and utterly furious, his tone dipping a dark degree.

    "i'm ripping you skin by skin alive, you retarded fucker."

    "oh that's a new threat." Kiyomasa cackles, his grip on you turning tighter and painful by the second.

    "too bad, you three are all gonna fucking die." he turns towards his companion. "kill the white-haired first."

    despite his wounds, Ran is thrashing. "i'll kill you—"

    your heart is beating in your ears, the empty pain washing over you like a tidal wave. the barrel buries deeper into Koko's red-soaked hair.

    "KOKO!" you screamed just as a distant boom plunges through your body, but it didn't come from the gun.

    "they called for backup—!?" Kiyomasa sputters.

a flash of headlights, the sound of veering engines, gunshots and shouts all collectively fill the air. the man that had you on a chokehold disappears and you stumble to the ground, your knees sinking to the cement flooring, heaving and coughing as your wounds finally dug into your conscience.

what the hell happened—

    "y/n." a familiar voice, then large hands cup your cheeks, lifting your head up.

    "Mochizuki?"

    the blond lets out a breath of relief, he wipes your tears. "yes, yes we are here. you're okay now."

    Mocchi is surprised when you lean forward and wrap your arms around his shoulders, tears fresh as they fall down the crook of his neck, though he was quick to pull you into his embrace. shielding you from the wrath and woe of the world before them.

    "Mocchi." you sobbed. "t-they...to Koko and Ran—"

    "shh, shh it's okay now, you three are safe." he reassures you with that gentle baritone of his, so familiar and warm, like the soft cackles of fire in the hearth. after awhile you could feel him lift his head.

"Kaku, that's enough—"

    Kakucho's name has you alerted, you pull away from Mocchi and peer over your shoulder, the sight before you shocked you frozen.