Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

Victor gave a quiet giggle as he watched Cade drive off before he made his way into the store. He found James standing near one of the animal habitats, staring inside and studying them.
"Hello." He said shyly as he approached, offering a smile when the male turned to face him.

"Ah, Victor, it is good to see you made it. Come, I will show you how to clock in." James' voice was polite, and Victor gave a quick nod, moving to follow him.
"We are going to start you on the register. I saw you had some previous work history. Can I assume you are familiar?"

"Decently so. I will just need to get used to the differences." Victor nodded as he followed James to an office where there was a computer as well as a machine hooked onto the wall.

"This is your card, I programmed it for you. All you need to do is swipe it, and it will inform you that you have clocked in. Before you leave, you swipe it again to clock out. When you go on break, the same process. Swipe out and back in." James explained as he handed Victor a small, white card. He nodded, swiping it for the first time. The machine read Victor - Clocked in. He gave a small grin, sitting the card down.

It felt nice to be at work again. After so long of having been stuck at home, expected to pick up after someone else, and feed them, it felt much better to be free.
"Am I training under someone specific?"

"Me." James chuckled, and Victor raised an eyebrow, amused by his statement.
"I like my employees trained a specific way. There is no better way to ensure that other than to see to it myself."

"Sounds like you are particular." His words were teasing, and James let out a quiet chuckle.

"You could say that. Come on." James motioned him out of the office, and he followed him to the second register.
"This will be where you are for the first half of the day. The second half, if you can handle it, I would like to begin introducing you to pet care."

"Will I be able to spend any time with the animals?" He asked hopefully, and James let out a laugh, nodding.

"Yes. We actually prefer spending time with the animals as it is available. It gets them accustomed to people, and they are more friendly when we try to introduce them to people. An example would be the hamsters. Mean fuckers, but they are very cute and can get used to people." Victor found himself amused by James' words, nodding quickly as he followed him through the store and to a room near the front office.

"I like that." Victor admitted as he followed him, moving to sit in the chair James motioned to.
"I have heard things about big box stores, so I was nervous."

"Thankfully, I run this place as I see fit. I try to keep all animals in the best enclosures I can. This means proper sizing, and I refuse to allow cohabitation." James explained to him as he logged onto the computer.

"Why is that?" Victor asked curiously.

"Most animals can't go together. For example, hamsters. Many think they can, but they don't. Reptiles are the best example, I can't really think of a single reptile that should be put together... frogs, maybe?" James snorted quietly and shook his head.
"Gerbils are social from what I've learned, but only with proper care. I had a lady who returned a dead gerbil to me... she had them in too small of an enclosure after lying to me, and so I sold her the two. The small enclosure stressed them, and one killed the other." He gave a heavy sigh and Victor frowned at his words but gave a quick nod.

"I like that you want them to live a healthy life." He said softly and James nodded, pointing to a sheet of paper.
"This is your login info." He showed him how to log in before he helped him get onto his videos. He showed him the ones he would need to do for the day before leaving him on his own.