Chapter One

Yes I'm obsessed with Cassie getting help and becoming a good guy. Thank you Abby_Volleyball09 for starting this obsession.

Cassie was starving. She was sure that her ribs were showing through her skin, much like Winslow's were. Her red hair was lank and dull.
Winslow's calico fur was matted and muddy. He mewed pitifully every now and then, no longer having the strength to stand.
Cassie sighed and stared at the endermites. Maybe she would.

Most people saw Cassie Rose as a cold hearted serial killer. She saw herself as a monster. Gabriel saw a lost child, wanting but not wanting help.
He wanted to help her.
He saw her staring down at those endermites. What had gone through Jesse and Jess's minds when they had... Well, condemned her? He felt the three enderpearls in his pockets. Good, still there. He could still free her. Help her. That was his main goal. He threw one of the pearls to the (scarily) small playform.

Cassie flinched.
Winslow hissed.
Cassie went for her axe.
Gabriel raised his hands in a gesture of surrender.
"I don't want to hurt you, Cassie," he said gently, "Far from."
"How do you know my name?!" Hissed Cassie, eyes narrowing.
Gabriel hummed, as if he were trying to think of the best answer. He tapped his foot absentmindedly.
"I know the New Order." He said slowly, making sure to keep eye contact, "I also know they made the wrong decision in leaving you here."
Cassie shook, "Oh, and I suppose you think I should have died!"
"No, I don't. I think you deserve a second chance."

Whatever Cassie had expected, it sure wasn't that. She searched the man in front of her, looking for signs of lying, of dishonesty. Even his eyes were clear and held no deception.
"Say I do come with you," Cassie spat, lowering her axe slightly, "What about other people?! Surely Jesse and Jess would have said how they defeated the White Pumpkin!"
The man nodded, expression still mild and kind, "Yes. But only about-" he paused, calculating- "Twelve of us know your real name; the rest of the world know you as the White Pumpkin but nothing more." Thinking, he added, "And to be clear, it's not uncommon for me to come home with a starved child. People would not question but simply assume I had gotten you out of a bad home life."

Gabriel could see the cogs turning in the lass's head, considering all he'd said. Every part of him hoped - begged - that she'd agree to come with him. He didn't want her to die. He didn't know what had led her down the path she'd chosen, but he swore to be better than her previous guardians. Eventually, he heard Cassie sigh, "Fine, but only if Winslow comes too."
Gabriel smiled, "Of course." He handed her an enderpearl as she scooped the cat up. Taking one last look at her, he threw the enderpearl to the overhead platform.

The man appeared on the platform before her. A wave of nausea washed over Cassie and she leant against the man for support whereas her other hand clutched at her stomach, unintentionally dropping Winslow.
"Are you alright?" The man asked, seeming genuinely concerned.
Cassie swallowed back bile and straightened,
"Y-Yeah." Curse her stuttering. Raising her head, her fierce glare was back,
"Name. Give it."
"Hm? Oh, it's Gabriel."

Oh. Oh crap. The very man who had raised the people who'd condemned her. Cassie had heard them briefly bicker with the man with the potions - Ivor? - about what Gabriel, their father, would think.
"Why?"
Gabriel faced her, raising an eyebrow, "Why what?"
"Why are you freeing me...? Your kids had no problem with trapping me down here!" She spat.
Gabriel gave her a look, "Because I think they were wrong, extremely so, to trap anyone down here! Condemning someone to starve or kill themselves will never be right!"

Cassie was briefly stumped. Her eyes drifted to the floor, face a blank piece of paper,
"It doesn't matter to me. To anyone."
Gabriel placed a hand on her shoulder brow creased with concern. No child should be talking like this.
"It matters to me."
"Why?"
"Any life that can be saved should be saved." He said, voice so gentle and caring that Cassie looked up at him. He smiled, "Now, let's get you home."

Home.
Something that Cassie had been longing for for a while. Years. Ducking her head so Gabriel didn't see her tears, she picked up Winslow and stepped through the portal.

Gabriel stared after her. In all the years he'd been fostering kids from abusive homes, he'd never once heard anyone talk like Cassie had. Deep down, he partially blamed Jesse and Jess. He shook his head. Focus on Cassie's wellbeing.
He went through the portal after her.