PART 13

part thirteen

━━━━ ⟡ ━━━━

After the meeting, Bakugo took me outside. He shoved past the other soldiers, shimmying between the spaces of the giant transport trucks and fighter planes. I teleported us to a clearing by the entrance to confront him. We didn't have snowsuits, and the air was frigid, biting my skin alive even from inside the building. I told him he was crazy. We needed to find Lynx and tell her everything. I had to piece together what I'd seen – what these visions meant for me – and I didn't need both of us to be turning into total mental cases.

But he insisted, grabbing my hand, dragging us out of the massive bay doors. Familiar snow crunched beneath me. Standing there in my boots, holding my arms, teeth chattering in the face of nature, I looked up to the clouds. The sun was warm. It reminded me of Bakugo's hands around mine.

"Better?"

Honestly, I was too busy shivering to worry about the nightmares.

"Yeah... Thanks."

I'd been dragging my body through hell and back. It took standing in the cold of winter, surrounded by centuries of trees and fresh powder snow to finally feel alive again. Bakugo put his hand to my back. I wasn't alone.

"Can we go inside now?" I shuddered.

"Don't need to ask me twice. Maybe they'll send us to a beach resort next time instead of this shitty mountain. Agency owes us big for this one."

I tried to shake the smile from my face.

"And quit worryin' already. We've got time to sort out your weird hallucinations."

"What about Lynx and the others?"

"Don't tell 'em. Your secret stays between you and me. If they're gonna keep their word from us, then it goes both ways. Their own confidentiality can bite them in the ass for all I care."

My duty as a hero tried to reason with me. Including the others might help the base formulate a better plan of action. I didn't know what use my visions might be or how accurate they were, but they had some semblance in reality. I saw a real face I hadn't seen before. That had to mean something.

But my trust in Bakugo pulled me from that chain, cracking it free. He'd always been there for me. I had to have faith in him and his resolve. We were going to complete this mission. And if it came down to the wire, we were going to do it our way.

━━━━━━━━