He looked far worse than he had the last time she had been in the Red Keep. A gold mask covered half of his face and his appearance had become haggard. Her stomach twisted into knots as she remembered what a kind, happy King he had once been; now he seemed to be rotting away before her very eyes.

"Hello, grandfather," she murmured. He stared at her for a long while before recognition dawned in his eyes.

"Oh, my sweet little doe," he said at last, "You've grown up." She smiled down at him. She had. Gone was the terrified, sullen little girl she used to be. Her visions, though tiresome, rarely terrified her anymore. At first glance, people would often swear that she was the image of her mother when she was young. When the sound of steel rang through the yard, Visaera leaned over and propped her elbow up on the ledge.

In the years since she had last seen him, Aemond had grown even more. He was tall and lean and, as she watched, she realized he had become quite the skilled swordsman.

Visaera watched with intense interest as Aemond repeatedly dodged every blow Ser Criston sent his way. Only two minutes into the match, the knight found himself bested by the prince. He's quite handsome... she thought for a moment. Aemond appeared every bit the regal prince he should be, and his face had grown angular; even the scar only made him more interesting to look at.

Morbid curiosity crept into her head and she found herself wondering what his eye looked like beneath the leather patch. And then his good eye was looking up into hers and she flushed with embarrassment, backing away from the edge of the balcony.

"I will come to visit you, soon," she told Viserys, planting a kiss on his forehead and heading back into the keep. By the time she returned to her rooms, the Queen had finally deigned to speak with her.

"Visaera," Alicent greeted the moment she stepped into the room.

"My Queen," she greeted, dipping into a proper, low curtsy.

"It has been quite a long time, my dear. Haven't you grown into a lovely thing?"

"Thank you, my Queen," she murmured, still not quite meeting Alicent's eye.

"I supposed I would like to thank you, Visaera..." The words were said hesitantly, as though she were forcing them out.

"I'm sorry, thank me for what, my Queen?"

"For taking the blame from Aemond, at Hightide. I should have written to you, after, but it was a difficult adjustment period." Alicent told her.

"Yes, I understand. There is no 'thank you' required, your grace." Visaera assured her. "My Queen, I mean no disrespect in my forwardness, but why am I here?" The Queen gave her a tight, uncomfortable smile.

"Ah, we come to the point... I am at odds, Visaera, you see... I have two sons, both of whom should have been betrothed or married by now; both who have asked me to be betrothed to you..." Visaera nearly choked on her saliva at Alicent's words. The princess leaned back against the bed, steadying herself as her head spun.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand..." she finally said.

"I had intentions to betroth Aegon to Helaena, but he refused."

"And Aemond?"

"Yes, it came as a surprise to me as well. I don't think the boy has so much as mentioned your name since the incident on Driftmark..." Alicent mused.

"I haven't seen either of them in years... Surely someone has caught Aegon's interest by now? I hear he's quite the philanderer."

"Yes, unfortunately," the Queen admitted, "Nothing but whores; no one of importance, thank the gods. The last thing we need is some kind of scandal..."