As I watched it crumble, I tried my best to save it. In retrospect, I suppose that is a huge task to ask of a nine year old. Even so, I tried to lay a new foundation, but this time was different.

This new foundation was built with the help of the most wonderful people I have had the privilege of knowing.

The first person, and my biggest supporter to this day, is my mother. She helped fill in the cracks, despite fighting her own battles. 

The next people to have helped were my friends. They helped rebuild what fell, reinforcing it with care. To them, I owe so much, but one in particular I owe the most.

This particular person I met when I was six.

If my memory is correct, we met in the springtime. My mom had told me we were going to meet an old friend of hers. I was unaware that they had two children around my age.

The first was a blonde boy a year older than me. If I ever wanted to talk to someone, I would usually go to him. I looked up to him like an older brother. Even if our opinions on many things differ, I still feel that way about him.

Their second child was a year younger than me. I do not think I have enough words to describe her, but she is the type of person who says whatever comes to mind. I never expected Y/N to quickly become a significant part of my life.'

You turned the page. Your attention shifted away from the paper, focusing your gaze on Alhaitham. The man was watching you nervously, trying to analyze your expression as you read.

"No wonder your professor gave you full marks," you tell him.

"You're not even at the good part yet," he scoffed. Your eyes widened.

"Does it really get better?" you mutter, earning a smile from the gray-haired man.

"Trust me it does," he says. You return his smile as you go back to reading.

Alhaitham's eyes stayed fixed on you. He watched the array of emotions displayed on your face as you got deeper into the paper. From your focused expression with furrowed brows to smiles that reached your eyes, he enjoyed it. Knowing he caused the bright grin on your face made him satisfied with his work.

After some time, he felt you readjust your position on his bed. You buried your cheek deeper into his shoulder. While you repositioned yourself, he glanced at the page number. You were on the last page now.

'The cracked foundation I call my childhood, has somehow brought me to Y/N.

Through all the years of knowing her, my admiration and love for her has only grown, like the flowers that bloomed when we met that spring.

It pains me to know I can never fully express my gratitude for her, but that does not hinder me from trying. Being there for Y/N has and always will be my goal. She has proved time and time again that she will do the same for me.

I hope she knows just how much I deeply and truly care about her. I hope she knows I want to be by her side through every challenge she faces and through all the success she will see. I hope she knows that she is always my favorite memory.'

Your eyes lingered on the last sentence as you thought about your favorite memories. All of them had traces of Alhaitham, from his silver hair to his viridian eyes. With your mouth slightly agape, you turned to Alhaitham as he looked at you with an unreadable expression. He was the first to speak.

"I'm sorry if you didn't li-," you interrupted him.

"You're my favorite memory, too," you say. His unreadable expression melted into one of care. "Did you mean it?" you ask. "Did you mean all the things you wrote?"