"Remember, I will be back at dusk," Jace reminded her as he dropped her off at the dragonpit. "Exactly at dusk, Visaera, if you're not here—"

"I'll be here, Jace, don't worry," she assured him just before he lifted off again. It had been nearly three years since she had stepped foot in King's Landing, but she still remembered the tavern where Aegon had agreed to meet her.

With her hood pulled up, a satchel over her shoulder, and one hand on the dagger that she prayed she wouldn't have to use, Visaera marched up the road and into the city.

Eel Alley was quiet when she arrived; the most experienced drinkers were still fast asleep in their beds. Visaera was both grateful and nervous at the lack of foot traffic in the area. While less business meant she would likely be left alone, it also increased her chances of being recognized by somebody.

Inside The Whistler's Wagon, Visaera sat in the corner, slowly sipping her ale. The taste was not enjoyable; she preferred wine, but she wanted to keep an inconspicuous drink in hand, lest her presence be questioned.

Minutes passed, slowly turning into hours. Visaera didn't have a timepiece, but she watched as the sunlight shifted through the window, rising into the sky. Already, she had finished two ales and worried that a third would fog her brain.

Eventually, she sighed, produced a silver piece, and left it on the table. She didn't know whether she should be worried or angry. In coming to see Aegon, she'd risked her parents' wrath, and the prince couldn't even be bothered to show up. Either that or something awful had happened that kept him from her. She didn't understand, but she decided she wanted answers.

The trek up to the Red Keep was not an easy one; she had never made the journey on foot. By the time she climbed the back stairwell, the one that let out near The Kings Way, she was breathing heavily and sweat had begun to accumulate on the back of her neck and beneath her breasts. Entering the castle was dangerous; she couldn't imagine the trouble she would be in if she was caught, but she had to make sure Aegon was alright.

It took her nearly an hour to find her way through the cellars and up to the main floor. Inside the keep, she peaked around each corner before making her way through the corridors. She wasn't worried about being seen by the guards, but about being caught by the Queen.

She had made it to the great staircase without incident and let out a breath of relief, knowing she would reach the royal apartments soon.

"What are you doing here?" The voice startled her and she whipped around. He was leaning back, one knee bent, on the window ledge with a book in his hands. At first, Visaera didn't recognize the young man in front of her and, if not for the eyepatch, she might not have recognized him at all.

"Aemond?" she clarified, staring at him as he sat up. He had grown in the years since Driftmark.

"Niece," he answered smartly.

"It's been a while..."

"Yes, it has," he agreed, "What are you doing here, Visaera?" She opened her mouth to make up some excuse before deciding it was rather pointless to lie to him.

"Aegon was supposed to meet me. Have you seen him?" A smirk spread across his face.

"Not since last night. He went to bed rather... Late..." replied.

"I'll just be going, then." Aemond didn't bother with a reply; he merely resumed his casual position on the ledge and reopened the book. Knowing there would be a guard outside the prince's door, Visaera made her way to her own rooms, bolting the door behind her.

An odd sense of familiarity swept through her as she pushed open the passageway and stepped inside. She was no longer a little girl and the thought of being lost in the walls no longer frightened her; it intrigued her. Time fell away as she pulled on the wall sconce, opening the archway into Aegon's rooms, as if she had never left.