"It is your grandmother's desire to be close to her; Baela agrees. They're not so far away."

"Sure, if you have a dragon to ride," Visaera muttered bitterly, stabbing at her sausage. Rhaena patted her hand, knowing exactly how she felt the more that Baela remained away. Since their encounter in the village, the two girls had been almost inseparable.

"Perhaps a ride on Syrax will lift your spirits?" Rhaenyra offered. A genuine smile graced Visaera's face, to her mother's relief.

"Perhaps..." she agreed.

Flying on dragonback was the single most exciting experience Visaera had ever encountered in her short life. She imagined nothing else could compare.

As Syrax lifted up, over the clouds, and the wind died away, the princess felt a moment of complete peace. The world fell away and all of her sorrows were forgotten. The pure joy that she felt from flying only made the sorrow stronger when they touched back down. More than anything, Visaera wished she had a dragon of her own to fill the void she carried with her.

My sweet prince,

I've been longing to write to you again but, the truth is, there has not been much worth writing about. I have been practicing my High Valyrian daily and I'm proud to say I'm becoming quite good. Baela spends more of her time at High Tide than here on Dragonstone and the days are quite lonely. I've been riding Syrax with mother, which is a nice change, but it only serves as a reminder that I don't have a dragon. I miss you, more than anything else. Promise you haven't forgotten about me already?

                                                                                                                Always yours,
                                                                                                                Visaera

At the sound of approaching footsteps, the prince shoved the letter into his pocket, just as Aemond rounded the corner.

"Why do you look so guilty?" Aemond asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I thought you were mother," Aegon admitted, flushing. He pulled the parchment back out and reread Visaera's words, smiling.

"Visaera?" Aegon nodded. "She wrote to me, too." The grin fell from Aegon's face as he blinked at his little brother.

"She did?"

"She told me Syrax produced a clutch of eggs; that I'll have new dragons to add to my book." Aegon rolled his eyes. Of course, they were conversing about that damn book of dragons...

"Did you add your name to the list of Vhagar's riders?" Aegon asked. Aemond answered to the affirmative and then continued on the direction he had been walking. Lifting the scroll to his nose, Aegon inhaled; the sweet smell of citrus lingered on the parchment. It had been nearly six moons since his last letter and, while receiving the letter filled him with joy, the hole in his heart felt like it had been ripped open once more. He needed a drink...

My sweet silver princess,

Your letters bring me more happiness than you could know. My nameday approaches, I wish you could be here to celebrate with me. It breaks my heart to know I won't be with you for yours, either. Perhaps, if your Valyrian is so much improved, you should write to me in Valyrian instead? It would be good for both of us to practice, as I don't get nearly enough. I long for the day I get to see your sweet face again.
                                                                                                                Yours,
                                                                                                               Aegon