𝓨𝓮𝓪𝓻 1, 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 7: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓲𝓭𝓷𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽 𝓓𝓾𝓮𝓵

Start from the beginning

"What's going on?"

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor."

Scowling, Malfoy quickly dropped the Remembrall back on the table.

"Just looking," he said, and he slipped away with Crabbe and Goyle behind him.

"That git," Y/N said through gritted teeth, slowly sitting back down. "I swear, someday I'd love to-"

Harry grabbed her hand and massaged her knuckles to calm her down, which she did. She gave him a small smile, which he returned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hermione Granger, who had seen Harry Potter grab Y/N Black's hand and massage her knuckles, frowned so slightly you could barely see it. She wondered how Ron hadn't seen it yet: Harry obviously had a crush on Y/N, but she didn't seem to reciprocate his feelings. Even an idiot like Ron could see that.

She ran a hand through her hair. How could he have developed a crush on her so quickly? It had only been a few days, if not a week, until the start-of-term banquet. She knew that they had probably met over the summer, but still, she didn't know how Harry could develop a crush on Y/N so quickly.

As Y/N and Harry conversed, Hermione picked at her food, not even trying to eat. She looked at Ron, who was obviously stuffing his face, and rolled her eyes. Of course. Honestly, did he even care about anything else other than food?

She looked back at the two and noticed that they were hugging each other. She raised an eyebrow so slightly you could hardly notice. Of course, it could be a platonic motion, but she highly doubted it.

She was so busy staring at them that Y/N looked at her dead in the eyes with a confused expression on her face. Eyes widened and cheeks tinged red with embarrassment, Hermione quickly looked down and started shoving as much food in her mouth as she possibly could. Of course, this was uncharacteristic of her, and she figured she could've made it look like she was looking at something else behind Y/N, but it was too late now. She hurriedly tried to remember how nervous she had been about flying. But, again, it was too late now.

'Perhaps I'm overthinking,' she thought to herself. 'Yes, that must be it. What else could it be?'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At three-thirty that afternoon, Harry, Ron, Y/N, and the other Gryffindors hurried down the front steps onto the grounds for their first flying lesson. It was a clear, breezy day, and the grass ripples under their feet as they marched down the sloping laws and toward a smooth, flat lawn on the opposite side of the grounds to the Forbidden Forest, whose trees were swaying darkly in the distance.

Y/N tried to remember how nervous she initially was about flying, but the event that happened at breakfast kept coming back to mind. Why was Hermione staring at them?

"Don't worry about it," Ron had assured her when she initially had brought it up to them. "She's a weirdo. I bet it's nothing."

Harry was quick to agree with that notion, so Y/N relaxed, although in some dark corner of her mind, she knew Ron was wrong. But she kept that cheerful thought tucked away in her brain.

The Slytherins were already there, and so were twenty broomsticks lying in neat lines on the ground. She had heard Fred and George Weasley complain about the school brooms, saying that some of them started to vibrate if you flew too high, or always flew slightly to the left. Y/N couldn't see how it would affect a game of Quidditch (whatever that was, she thought) severely, but she did understand that it could be a tad bit annoying.