''~~''~~''~~''

''this could just be, like, food poisoning? doesn't show up at breakfast, can kill you by lunch.'' ciara excused, looking around the room. ''listen, the public service health's job is to figure out what we're dealing with, the fbi's is who. and the key to both is where, right?'' don called out to the whole team.

charlie jumped up, grabbing a whiteboard marker off my desk. i raise an eyebrow at him as he walked up to the whiteboard. ''say you put four people in a room with one infected person. two of those four get the illness, and you put those five people in a room with more people, when you get to a room of 100 people, however many get exposed and affected, it will be hard to track down that first infected person. it takes a complex statistical graph and analysis theory. not everyone who gets exposed gets sick, but we don't know why.'' charlie explained, drawing out on the whiteboard .

after a few more moments of charlie demonstrating... whatever it was he was doing, he erases off the whole board. ''we don't have the pattern yet, but i'm hoping that as more people get sick we can get one. not that- that i hope more people get sick.''

''we know that, charlie. it sounds like what you're saying is that you need more data.'' ciara says, looking at the man. ''exactly, thank you.'' he smiled slightly at the girl. ''charlie, if i can give you the stats i have right now, would you be able to piece me a graph together with them?'' ciara asked, looking around for her papers. charlie nodded, walking towards her. ''i can have them ready for tomorrow.'' he said, knowing that they'd probably be needed for then, anyway.

''after tomorrow, when i get more data as well, could you help me put it in then, too? don and i are going out again, interrogating the families.'' ciara requested, feeling slightly bad for making charlie do all this, though, she knew that this was childs play for him. he nodded his agreement once again. she smiled, thanking him, and patting his arm.

~~''~~''~~

later that day, when ciara and don were off doing their interogations, charlie was at home, working on ciara's graphs.

''hey,'' alan walked in, ''what'cha workin' on?'' he asked, pointing to the table. ''something for someone at work, well, fbi.'' charlie explained shortly, pushing his pen into the graph paper ciara had supplied. ''ah, okay. a he or she?'' alan asked, smirking. ''huh?'' charlie raised his head, looking at his father.

''your friend, male or female?'' alan pushed. ''does it matter?'' charlie questioned, slightly annoyed with his fathers antics. ''no, no, just-- thinking that maybe-'' charlie cuts him off, sighing. ''dad, whenever i have a girlfriend, i will let you know, by uhh, note on the fridge.'' charlie suggested.

~''~~''~

''this geographic information system will allow us to map victims and potential disease clusters with ciara's real-time data. they're all over the L.A. area, from long beach to santa barbara. now, in computing the reproductive ratio... actually, you know what? I've written it out.'' charlie quickly hauls up the big paper with his whole speech written onto it. his phone rings and he walks out of the room.