"we have to wait for y/n/n to get here, then i'll explain to you guys."

max sighed heavily. she had been thinking about what el told her recently about the boys talking about her powers. she was upset. mad.

shortly after, y/n arrived. as soon as she entered the basement, all eyes were on her. she stopped halfway down the stairs and stare back at everyone. mike, lucas, eleven, max, and will. in that exact order. mike, lucas, and max looked pissed, but el and will looked happy to see her.

~*———*———*———*~

"i didn't think it was anything at first. i mean, i think i just didn't want to believe it." will explained. "the first time i felt it was at day of the dead."

"the power went out that night, too." mike added, the realization kicking in.

"and then i felt it again at the field near the nelson farm the next day. then again yesterday outside castle byers."

y/n had a concerned look on her face. all these times, she noticed will was acting different, but when she asked him, he denied it, so she brushed it off and completely forgot to ask him about it later on. she had been a terrible friend.

"what does it feel like?" max inquired.

"it's almost like..." will searched for the words. "you know when you drop on a roller coaster?"

y/n nodded her head.

"sure."

"yeah."

"no."

"it's like...everything inside your body is just sinking all at once, but..this is worse. your body it goes cold and— and you can't breathe." will stuttered over his own words explaining the way he felt whenever he was near. "i've felt it before."

el looked absolutely terrified at will's words.

"...whenever he was close."

"whenever who was close?" max asked.

the mind flayer, obviously. is what y/n would've said if her friends weren't giving her shit for not telling them about her powers. and now wasn't the time for sarcastic comments.

"the mind flayer." will answered.

"i closed the gate." el reminded.

"i know, but... what if he never left? what if we locked him out here with us?"

~*———*———*———*~

everyone was surrounding will, who was at the little table in the wheeler's basement. he placed a paper down and had a charcoal crayon in his hand.

he began to scribble the shadow monster on the paper. "this is him. all of him. but, that day on the field, a part of him attached itself to me." he ran his hand over the drawing, causing it to go onto his hand. he raised up his hand, showing the group. "my mom got it out of me..."

memories of the night in the cabin flashed into y/n and will's head.

"el closed the gate." will continued. "but the part that was still in me, what if it's still in our world?"
he flipped over the paper and placed his hand onto it, leaving a black handprint on the paper.

"i don't understand. the demodogs died when el closed the gate. if the brain dies, the body dies." max said.

"we can't take any chances." mike shrugged. "we need to assume the worst. the mind flayer's back."

"yeah. and if he is, he'd want to attach himself to someone again. a new me." will looked at everyone.

"a new host." y/n breathed out.