third person

"these are empty, you guys took empty tanks?" kiara asks in bewilderment as sage rolls her eyes.

"i didn't see you doing anything to help, and he took the tanks, i was there as a distraction." the blonde defends as kiara scoffs and checks the gauge on the last tank.

"this one's a quarter full, that's enough for one of us." she says, looking around the boat.

"love it when a plan comes together." pope deadpans from behind sage.

"does anyone know how to dive?"

"you act like we're the rich ones." sage sassed, glaring up at kiara who rolled her eyes and tossed the gauge down on the bow.

"i read about it once." pope tried from behind sage, who gave him a thumbs up.

"great, pope read about it, so someone's gonna die." kiara said flatly, john b sighing heavily from next to the curly haired kook.

"i can- i can dive!" he says, trying to sound confident but not convincing anyone.

"yeah, you can dive, i'm cool with that." jj says from the ground, sage raising her eyebrows at jj and shaking her head at john b.

"no, you cannot dive, you a-class dumbass." the older routledge said, leaning back in her chair and crossing her legs.

"look, you put the thing in your mouth and breathe, how hard can it be?" jj asked cluelessly.

"if you come up too fast nitrogen gets in your blood and you get the bends." pope explains, jj standing up and looking at pope in confusion.

"you mean the bends like- bend over and-" he starts, and sage rolls her eyes.

"the bends kill you." the blonde deadpans as jj looks at her, now partially embarrassed.

"right." he says shortly, sitting back on the ground like a child, a smile pulling at sage's lips as she watched him.

"i can dive!" john b speaks up again.

"yeah, sure, you can dive." jj replies quickly, john b beginning to strap on the tank.

"let me do some calculations real quick." pope adds, grabbing a random piece of paper as sage takes jj's pen out of his pocket and passes it to him. "that boats about... thirty feet down? that means you need to make your safety spot at about ten feet. for two minutes."

"ten feet, two minutes, got it." john b says. without warning, kiara pulled her t-shirt off and jumped into the water, pope, john b, and jj staring at where the water was now rippling where she had landed.

"what was that all about?" jj asked.

"i don't know." pope said.

"i liked it. like a lot." john b added, sage smacking the back of his head as jj stood in front of the younger routledge twin, holding out a small plastic key.

"when you get down there, you're gonna look for the cargo hold? okay? then you're gonna stick this in the hole, and twist and pull, okay?" he instructed, john b nodding and taking the key.

"stick in the hole, twist and pull, got it."

"my dad moved some weight back in the day." jj commented, sage shrugging.

"who didn't?" she replied as kiara surfaced.

"hey! i tied my shirt to the anchor chain about ten feet down. it's where you need to do your safety stop." she explained, grabbing sage's hand as the blonde pulled her up onto the boat again, john b moving to the edge and grinning over at sage.