Chapter Forty-one: Dear Billy

Start from the beginning

Raising a finger, Steve adds another question. "And how's he getting through now?" "And why now?" Jessica questions. "And why then? Just pops out in the '50s, kills one family, and he's like, ha, yeah 'I'm good,'. And poof, he just disappears. Just...gone? Only to return 30 years later and start killing some random teens?" Steve questions, glancing down at the article in his hands. "No, I don't buy it. Straightforward, my ass." Steve looks up from his paper. "Honestly, Henderson, a little humility now and then, it wouldn't hurt you."

"Sorry," he whispers.

Shaking his head, Steve walks over to the armchair where Jessica was sitting. Jessica stands up, allowing Steve to plop down in it. After making himself comfortable, Steve takes Jessica's hand into his and gently pulls her down onto his lap. Jessica wraps her right arm around his neck while Steve wraps his left arm around her waist, holding her in place so she wouldn't fall off his lap. Steve glances over at Ace who is still sound asleep. "Should we wake him?" he whispers to Jessica who shakes her head. "No...he needs his beauty sleep."

Over on the couch, Dustin leans his body to the right, looking over at Max who sat at a desk on the other end of the basement. She had been sitting there since they first arrived at the Wheeler's house which was hours ago. "Any idea what she's writing?" Dustin whispers to the group. Lucas, Steve and Jessica glance over at Max. "Did she sleep?" Dustin asks. "I mean, would you?" Lucas asks him.

From above, the door slams open, waking Ace up from his deep slumber. "What is Gunsmoke?!" Ace yells as Nancy and Robin descend down from the stairs. Jessica, Steve, Lucas and Dustin glance over at Ace in confusion. "What is Gunsmoke?" Dustin repeats. Ace chuckles and runs a hand through his hair. "Sorry, I had a very vivid dream that I was a contestant on Jeopardy. The question was-" Ace pauses, noticing the looks on his friends' faces. He clears his throat. "Never mind...we have more pressing matters than my dreams of being on a game show." 

Nancy claps her hands. "Okay, so...we have a plan." Nancy hands a file over to Steve and to Dustin. Steve takes it and opens it up, him and Jessica reading over it as Nancy and Robin both pulled out two stools and sat down beside Ace. "Thanks to Nancy's minions, we are now rock-star psychology students at the University of Notre Dame," Robin spoke excitedly. 

"I'm now Ruth," Nancy said.

"And I'm Rose," said Robin.

Steve looks up from the paper. "Ruth?" Nancy nods. Dustin looks over the file, spotting Rose's GPA. He looks up at Nancy. "Nice GPA." Nancy grins. "Thanks. So, we called Pennhurst Asylum, told them we'd like to speak with Victor Creel for a thesis we're co-writing on paranoid schizophrenics-" "To which they said no," Robin adds. "But we landed a three o'clock with the director." "Now all we have to do is charm him and convince him to let us talk to Victor," Robin adds in. Nancy glances over at Max. "Then maybe we can rid Max of this curse."

"Yeah, about that. We've been doing our Victor Creel homework, and, uh...we got some questions," Steve tells the two. Lucas nods in agreement. "Lots of questions." "So do we. Hopefully, Victor has the answers," Nancy said. 

Looking around, Steve had noticed only two folders, rather than four. "Wait...wait...Wait a second. Uh...Where's ours?" Steve questions, gesturing to him and Jessica.

"You two don't have one," Nancy said slowly. Standing up, she and Robin rush out of the room. "Now hold on just a second," Jessica exclaims, jumping up from Steve's lap and racing after Nancy and Robin. Steve stands up and turns to Ace, Dustin and Lucas. "Do not let Max out of your sight." He then races up the stairs.

Pushing her door open, Nancy walks into her room, Robin following after her. A few moments later, both Jessica and Steve burst in. "Nancy, why didn't you make one for me?" Jessica asks while Steve tells her. "Nancy, you're outta your mind if you think I'm babysitting again."