11. Have We Met Before?

Start from the beginning

"Calling a friend," Hap smiled. "Don't worry, Mr. Grady. She's not dangerous, for you."

"There's a human on this island?" the redhead asked, eyes going comically wide.

Hap nodded and called out, "Come on, Sery, it's safe."

Serenity didn't entirely trust that, but she dropped from the tree anyway, crawling on her hands and feet toward them. Hap greeted her with a huge smile and dropped to the ground, embracing her tightly. They ignored everyone around them for a moment as they reunited.

"I came back," he whispered, the words sincere and painful.

Serenity felt tears fill her eyes and all the emotions from the years spent alone surfaced. She began to cry, and the woman before her gasped softly. She had a stunned look on her face, and the mercs behind her looked equally confused.

"It's just a girl," she said. "Owen, look at her."

The man nodded and dropped his tense posture. He kneeled down by Hap and looked at Serenity with a scrutinizing eye. Then a warm smile graced his face. He seemed like a kind person.

"Hi, my name is Owen and that's Claire. Can you tell us what's going on?" the man said.

Serenity wiped her eyes and wracked her brain for human words for a moment. She looked at Hap and then at the man. She held his shirt in an iron grip and refused to let him stand or move away.

"We need to leave," she said. "It is no longer safe. Take as many Dinosaurs as you can and go away."

"We know," Claire replied. "You must come with us."

Serenity nodded, and then looked at Hap with a pleading gaze.

"Chaos," she said, no explanation needed.

"I know," Hap said, standing and pulling her with him. "I think someone is going to get her, don't worry about it."

Serenity didn't. Not with him by her side.

OOO

They made their way to the secret place. Apparently, the Claire woman needed to do something there. Serenity knew Chaos was there and she was eager to see her sister, but also worried something would happen now that Humans were here. When they arrived, a burly man with a mean look seemed very surprised to see her.

"What's that girl doing here?" he asked Owen and Claire.

"She's one of the kids left on the island after the 2015 accident," Claire explained. "She's been here for the last three years."

"Wow," the man said, though he didn't seem impressed. "Can't believe she survived on her own that long."

Serenity hadn't been on her own, but she wasn't going to tell him that. She wasn't stupid. He smelled suspicious and she didn't like him, his aura was wrong. She wasn't going to say a word to him. Hap wrapped an arm around her and seemed to sense her unease.

"It'll be fine," he said to her quietly.

Serenity didn't believe him, but she nodded anyway. This man was trouble and she knew it. She felt it in her bones. Claire went inside the secret place and Serenity all but ran after her, bare feet slapping harshly on the concrete. She ran into the tunnel halfway, listening. The doors weren't open, Chaos wasn't able to come here directly then.

"I'll be in shortly," a dark-skinned boy said as he sat down by a computer.

Serenity was reminded of Brooklynn and she made her way to them. Claire had to scan her handprint and Serenity watched as they tried to locate Blue. It wasn't going to be easy to get her, that was for sure. When she was finally located, Owen said he would go get her. The dark-skinned boy – Franklin – and Claire, stayed in the secret place.