Episode 04

EPISODE 04

When the time has come, Eli arrives early at the parking lot, where he will wait for Nevziha to come out. He looked around; many students were already getting into their parked cars, and some of them, those with machetes, were leaving little by little. When he saw Nevziha walking towards the car, he immediately got down to open the door.

The woman stopped for a moment in front of him, even though the door was already open for her. “What time did you come?” the girl asked him.

 “Itʼs not that long, Ms. Vallez,” Eli answered.

Nevziha immediately nodded and got into the car, sitting in the backseat. Silence reigned again when they were on their way home from the mansion, but Nevziha couldnʼt help but think about the man she was with now, especially as she remembered what happened the other night. “By the way, I want to apologize to you for the way I treated you when we first met,” she said, causing Eli to look at the rare mirror. “I thank you for what you did, but be honest with me, Mr. Thompson.”

 “Just call me, Eli, Ms. Vallez,” the young man said.

“Eli, what are you doing in the parking lot, and why... were you there when those gang boys were about to attack me?”

“Is it required of you to know all about that coincidence, Ms. Vallez? I donʼt even know if you would believe me if I told you that I used to be a member of their gang.”

“Really?” Nevziha asked interestedly, so maybe she did believe because she was taking what the young man said seriously. Eli didnʼt respond immediately, and maybe something else came out of his mouth. “I want you to know me more since youʼre my new driver.”

“Are you getting interested in me, Ms. Vallez?”

 “No. Itʼs not like that. Why would I be interested in a former gang member?” she said with a raised eyebrow.

Eli immediately grinned. “Now you believe that I was once a gang member? Arenʼt you afraid that even now, theyʼre still hunting me because... they want to get revenge on me?”

 “Why, Eli? Are you a criminal like them? Have you ever killed someone? Do you know a lot about all the silly things they do inside and outside the university?” Nevziha asked. “You know what? Iʼm not afraid of encountering a criminal, especially since youʼre here serving as my driver. Your life might change, and I want to advise you something, Eli. This world is so unfair for us to live that someone is chasing us; nowʼs the time for me to ask you, are you ready to give up everything?”

Eli wasnʼt able to speak immediately. He was thinking about the girlʼs last words. He remembered when the woman he loved was still alive. That was also asked of him. “Are you ready to give up everything for me, Eli?” His tears formed when he remembered that voice that was similar to Nevzihaʼs voice, and now he realized that it might all be a coincidence. “Iʼm ready to leave everything for you, my love. I will do everything to protect you, and if I have to sacrifice my own life for you, I will because I love you.”

 Eliʼs tears flowed, causing Nevziha to stop and look closely at the young man. “Hey, did I say something wrong? Are you crying?” she asked worriedly.

Eli immediately shook his head and wiped his tears. “No. Itʼs nothing, Ms. Vallez.” Nevziha didnʼt speak again and leaned back in her seat. Until they reached the mansion, the big gate opened, and Eli entered the car in the ground field.

Eli got out of the car first to open the door for Nevziha. Without saying a word, the girl walked straight into the mansion; she immediately followed inside to tell Mrs. Vallez that her daughter was already there. “Mom...” They caught up with Mrs. Vallez, who was sitting in the dining area facing the food served on the table.

Nevziha hugged her mother before also sitting on the chair to join her in the meal. Eli immediately turned around to excuse himself to Nevzihaʼs mother, but he was immediately stopped when Mrs. Vallez called his name. “Oh, Eli, donʼt leave yet and join us for a meal.” Eli turned around and rejected Nevzihaʼs momʼs offer.

“There is no need, madam. Iʼll just join your staff here,” he said politely.

“You donʼt have to refuse my offer, Eli. Come here and join us,” Mrs. Vallez insisted, and thatʼs why he couldnʼt speak again or find a place to sit. When he sat by their side, he was still shy about taking food, especially now that he and Nevziha were facing each other. “I know you arenʼt comfortable joining us for dinner, but you donʼt need to feel that because... I would like to inform you that youʼre not just my daughterʼs driver.”

He looked at Mrs. Vallez; even Nevziha was confused by what her mother was saying. “I talked to your dad, Nev. Your dad told me that you also need to find a bodyguard for your safety.” Nevziha was immediately surprised by what her mother said; instead, she frowned and shook her head.

 “Oh, God, Mom, I donʼt want a bodyguard anymore. Why do I need that, and what about safety?” she asked in surprise.

“Well, you didnʼt even tell me what happened last night when you were going home. You almost perished when a group of men followed you near your school.” Nevziha immediately realized that incident, and she knew only one person who knew about it—none other than Eli.

Eli bowed his head slightly when the girl looked at him. “Luckily, Eli happened to be there; he saved you. Thatʼs why, whether you like it or not, you will have a bodyguard.”

“But I donʼt want to have a bodyguard, Mom!”

 “Nevziha, just listen to me, my daughter.” Nevziha just shook her head and didn't speak again. “I donʼt need to go any further, and for this time, Eli, your duty will be double. You donʼt have to worry because I will also double the money we will pay you.” Eli raised his head, looking at Mrs. Vallez, which was amazing.

“You are also serving as Nevzihaʼs bodyguard.”

He left for a while and returned to the retreat house to pack, put away, and fix his things. He no longer needed to stay in that house because Mrs. Vallez said he no longer needed to leave the mansion so he could go home to where he was staying.

He doesnʼt have any other family to go home to, so itʼs okay for him to stay at the Vallez mansion, but itʼs still not that easy for him to be with that family, especially since Nevziha is the only one who knows that he used to be with the gang, and he still wonders why Nevziha was more satisfied to say that he is just another criminal who is still being hunted by the leader of the gang he left.

In truth, he wants to change his life, but he doesn't know how to find a reason to continue living a good life and to live peacefully. “Miss Vallez!” The girl stopped when she heard Eliʼs voice when he called her. When she looked back, she saw Eli standing outside the car. “You forgot something,” he said and held up her books, which Nevziha had forgotten to carry.

“Oh, no!” She quickly approached Eli to get the books. “Thanks for the reminder.” But when she was about to pick it up, Eli pretended that he had dropped the books, which is why Nevziha was also surprised by that incident, thinking that the young man had indeed dropped the books. “You idiot! Stop playing around, Eli!” Nevziha said she was annoyed, but later they both laughed.

They were also stunned when they realized that their hands were holding each other as they held the same book. Nevziha immediately pulled the books from Eli and walked away. “See ya!” The girl immediately hurried to enter the gate. Eli just watched the girl, smiling as if he were happy that they were both getting better.