2. Lemonheads

(This chapter is best read in light mode!)

I awoke the next morning feeling dazed and confused

I awoke the next morning feeling dazed and confused. Had I just been lucid dreaming? If so, Jesus Christ.. how did my brain manage to think of that?

I spent the next ten minutes staring at my room. Pinching myself. Looking at my hands. Anything to remind myself that I was awake.

After I my heartbeat had finally slowed, I figured I should get out of bed, and oh my god. I felt like a newborn baby trying to walk around. I stumbled around my room, tripped over air, and experienced the worst vertigo of my life.

It made me want to vomit.

Tripping and eating shit on my way out of my room, I held on to my brother's door for dear life. Man. This is an ugly ass road sign. Why would he get one of the 15 mph ones? That's so pointless..

I furrowed my brows and sat down to slide down the stairs onto hard wood floors, the sunlight streaming in through stained glass windows on the sides of our front door nearly blinding me. Fun. What a great start to my morning.

I turned to the short hall leading to our kitchen and living room and stopped in the middle it where our closet was. I figured I should head out to ask the old man at the bodega if anything weird happened last night. Surely he would know, right?

"Nope." He replied, his voice raspy as he pulled out a pack of skittles and threw them at me. I hadn't even asked for them.

"Wha- what do you mean no?" I practically backflipped over my words. "Last night? Around what.. 11 pm? No weird shadows? No feeling of another presence?"

To my dismay, he simply shrugged and threw a tootsie roll at me. I didn't remember asking for that either. Instead of bothering him anymore, I opted to just lean against the counter and eat my tootsie roll in silence, the sound of overly sad sounding music going in one ear and out the other.

I found myself swaying to the lyrics (that I very much couldn't understand) when the sound of the little bell at the top of the door ringing alerted me to another presence.

"No, I'm not buying you another box of lemonheads."

"Cmon, please? They're so cheap.."

"No, we came for iced tea and that's all we're leaving with."

I slowly turned my head to the sound of the voices.

No, it couldn't be..

The distinct shape of what I could only assume was Mel's nose hit me directly in the gut. Chills ran up my spine at their cold, dead eyes that seemed to narrow at Siren's playful demeanor.