Chapter 3: The Boardwalk

joyce kept applying more sunscreen to will's face.

"mom, that's enough."

"do you want first degree burns?"

"no."

"then let me apply enough sunblock to your precious face." will sighed in defeat.

joyce pretty much finished half of the tube of sunscreen before she noticed jonathan wasn't around. she stood up from the bench near the beach to look around, "where's jonathan?"

"probably with argyle."

"argyle?"

will nodded, "his new friend."

"long hair," el added.

"okay, what rides do you want to go on first?"

"giant dipper," will said with an 'obviously' tone. that attraction was what santa rubeach's boardwalk was known for. a wooden roller coaster that was sure to flip anyone's organs around.

joyce had a map of the boardwalk in her hands as she navigated with will and el to the roller coaster.

"have you ever been on a roller coaster?" will asked el.

"no."

"well, today is your lucky day," will gave el a toothy grin. she furrowed her eyebrows at him but continued walking along.

they came across a noticeably big sign reading, "giant dipper." after the sign was a long line of people and will groaned, "a long wait... and in the sun, too?"

"good thing we wore sunscreen," will rolled his eyes.

"mom, i told you we should've left home earlier."

"calm down. the heat is getting to you," joyce ruffled his hair.

will tried to give his mom an angry look but he ended up smiling, "i wish mike was here."

"what was that?"

"nothing." 

after about 30 excruciating minutes of waiting in line, they were finally boarding the roller coaster. they got a car towards the back. each of the six cars had 2 rows that allowed a total for 4 people so will and el sat together behind joyce.

as the roller coaster went up slowly towards the peak, will looked over at al, "get ready."

"why-" el screamed when they dropped and will threw his hands up. el started laughing as they were thrown around.

they exited the ride, "what did you think?" joyce asked el.

"fun," she grinned.

as they walked around to look for another ride to go on, they came across the rock-o-plane.

"mom, we have to go on this one."

"you two go ahead and wait in line. i'm going to buy us waters," joyce walked off as the kids went to the line. they heard familiar voices.

"why the fuck would you eat that much cotton candy before going on anything that spins?"

"why the fuck didn't you stop me?" nick whined.

ally scoffed, "that's not my responsibility."

"then stop making fun of me, jackass."

"asshat."

"asshole."

"asswipe."

"hey," will shyly interrupted.