Long Talk

Y/n's POV:

   "Y/n, my name's Y/n" I spoke with a smile on my face.

    Vance wiped his tears and turned to face me. He moved his curly blonde hair out of his face and revealed his shiny blue eyes. The whites of his eyes were a stained red from crying. "Are you new to Denver?" Vance said as he cleared his throat.

     "No, I've been here all my life. I moved houses once but that was for my Ma's benefit. And it was only a street over from my old one." I explained. Vance made a face like he was satisfied with my answer. That made me confused but I brushed it off.

    "That's cool. I've lived in this shit hole my whole life too. I went from the rundown trailer park to a bungalow across town, that needs a ton of work. My dad is currently fixing it up." He added on to my response. I nodded and smiled.

   We had talked for hours. Conversations from the town to our interests. We both like pinball but not the same amount. I sometimes play at the local party store when I'm bored, but Vance loves the game. He told me he plays it everyday and beats his previous high scores. Vance said his grandpa taught him when he was little.

    After a few more minutes of conversation, I noticed the sun setting in the sky."Vance. Oh my goodness! It's getting late. I really have to get home!" I panicked. "My Ma is going to kill me!".

    I got up and started to speed walk away. "Wait!" I heard Vance call. I couldn't help but turn around. "Let me walk you home. Walking alone at night isn't safe." He spoke as he caught up to me.

    We started to walk slowly together in silence. I liked the sound of crickets and owls while the rustling of the tall grass covers it. We eventually made it to my house. Vance waved goodbye to me from the sidewalk as I slipped into the front door.

   Ma and Mema were cleaning up dinner when I entered the kitchen. "Where were you young lady!" Ma scolded. I froze.

"Sorry Ma, I met a friend at the old station and lost track of time!" I defended.

"Do I know this friend? It better not be a boy!" She said angrily.

  I gulped loudly and watched her expression get angrier.

  "Ma.. I just met him today. He's really nice and I'm not gonna get pregnant, trust me. Just a friend!" I spoke calmly and slowly inched out of the kitchen. Ma sighed and smiled.

   My room was nice and cozy when I entered. I closed my window so the wind couldn't get in any longer. I got into my bed and shut off my lamp. My eyes shut and I drifted off to sleep.