Chapter 2: Old Friends and New

The drive to the Hard Deck was one of the most carefree moments of Annabelle's life in the past eight years. Being surrounded by sunshine again and the ocean, her absolute favorite, was one of the greatest feelings in the world. Rooster's jeep allowed the warmth of the sun along with the breeze of the wind to surround her entire being with comfort and safety. It was a moment Annabelle was sure to never take for granted. The ride ended all too soon though as Rooster pulled up to the Hard Deck and the sound of lively music and conversation took over Annabelle's senses. She knows she promised Phoenix she'd make an appearance, but at the moment, she never wanted to leave this car. 

"You ready for this?" With a very childish shake of her head, Annabelle pouted at Rooster, hoping he'd take pity on the girl and not force her to socialize with arrogant fighter pilots all night. 

"Come on. I'll be there all night and so will Nix. Besides you might end up enjoying the company." Unlikely, but with a final huff, Annabelle opened the door and stepped out of the vehicle, putting a charismatic smile on her face as they entered the bar. Surprisingly, she did already feel better hearing Phoenix over at the pool tables with other airmen. Maybe if she could convince herself that this would be just like her time at Top Gun as a trainee, she might actually be able to enjoy herself. Annabelle made eye contact with Nat who gave a huge excited grin in response, only to become one of total shock when spotting Rooster at her side. 

"Is that you Bradshaw?!" A nudge and smug smirk from Rooster was all Annabelle needed to move towards her friend at the other end of the bar. 

"This is how I find out you're state side? Not even a call?"

"Well, what would be the fun in that?" A sharp jab of her pool stick into Rooster's gut shut him up real quick. 

"Yeah, real good seeing you too Nix." 

"Uh huh. Now get out of my way. You're hiding the real prize." Pushing Rooster to the side Phoenix and Annabelle took their respective steps forward to envelop one another in a bone crushing hug. 

"I'm so glad you're here."

"Yeah, me too Nix. I've missed this place more than I realized. And you too of course." The women pulled away to just stare at each other for a moment, before Natasha had to ruin the moment. 

"Bagman's here." 

"Son of a bitch of course he is. Looks like it's time to grab my first drink." Both girls let out a laugh, equally displeased by the idea of Hangman's company for the next month of training. As Annabelle moved to head towards the bar, her eyes grazed over the other pilots present for the special detachment. She recognized Payback and Fanboy who had been stationed with Nat in Virginia. Coyote was present who had also been in their class at Top Gun. But her eyes stopped when they landed on an unfamiliar face. He stood quietly off to the side of the pool table, patiently waiting for his turn in the game. He had beautiful, soft blue eyes and an overall face that screamed "nice guy". There was nothing exceedingly special about him, but for some reason, Annabelle felt her heart skip a beat when looking at him. He was incredibly attractive despite his clearly shy demeanor, but when she saw a smile grace his lips, she knew it was her new favorite image. Her staring was interrupted by Rooster, who nudged her in the ribs, clearly having caught her in the act. 

"Like something you see?" 

"Shut up Bradley. Just scoping out the competition."

"Uh huh. I don't think most people drool when they do that."

"Bradshaw I am not above giving you a black eye on day one." Lifting his hands in surrender, Rooster stepped out of the way to allow Annabelle to continue her walk to the bar.