Trigger warning: verbal and physical abuse.

—

„Would you like another glass of water, mistress?"
„Yes."

And so she dissipates into the kitchen, leaving the woman there. She exhaled frustrated, watching as the servant went to take a glass of water. Her head traced down to the papers on the table, gripping them until the papers folded as she held a cigarette in her other hand. Its remains plunge onto the wooden table.

Her hand started to shake and her eyes focused, still gritting her teeth. Disappointed partially, but especially frustrated and angry. Her hand plonked, and she closed her eyes. The papers tore slowly.

Are you okay, mistress?"
„Why the fuck would I be, Francesca?"

The servant shivered and said no word. Her hands were with the glass, close to her chest, so close her heartbeat was as loud as metal music. The other glared at the girl with cruel eyes promising nothing but consequences. Francesca swallowed, knowing what was to come.

„Are these measures necessary?"
„... I wouldn't necessarily agree, but-"
„Francesca, I asked you a single answer, not for your opinion."

She stood in silence. She tells herself mentally not to speak, not wanting to risk the cost of her own life. The servants' eyes followed as the woman's body shifted, movements rough and rabid. Francesca was nearly dismayed by the woman.

„Francesca, send a letter to Sir Charlos. Tell him I've received the deal Lakes offered. Michael Lakes."
„... Sir... Who...?"
Charlos, I said. Francesca, do your job."

She paid no heed and rushed away from the angry woman. She knew no word of what was to come out of her mouth at this moment.
Agitation.

„Lord I hate Michael. Why the fuck did he decide he should cause me this fucking issue as early as 2 in the morning?"

„Claraaaaa..."

The boy pulled the name, in an attempt to annoy the girl. She groaned angry, the dream getting louder and louder. She gasped for the air around her, nothing but warm and sweat. It was a matter of seconds before she blinked and this illusion was gone.

„Were you like, passed out last night? Why the sloppy movements?"

Clara rose and gave her eyes a firm rub. Thomas. Her brother who she swore was 15 but carried the mind of a 5-year-old. Clara's eyebrows wrinkled and her head was in the direction where her brother stood.