𝒙𝒊. songbook symphony

Start from the beginning

the twenty year old at the time just wanted to know more about the older, finding the reason he wrote his number on a lighter fascinating. after the train ride home and texting wilbur, audrey almost found herself wanting to become a social butterfly like elodie was four years ago. she wanted to share secrets with him about the basics like fears and things she hated that everyone else adored.

at twenty-four years old, audrey felt her mind shift.

audrey felt herself admiring the twenty-six year old from afar despite being best friends with him. the feeling of little scribbled hearts rotating around was the best way she could describe it. when wilbur called her darling, it was normal before. it was a best friend giving another best friend a nickname - but now - audrey doesn't know if it's a best friend thing. holding the door open, that could pass for the younger, but holding her hand when walking into a forrest with bandmates and friends as the van was broken? audrey couldn't label it as that.

the van came to a halt, audrey feeling her body shift against the window. voices were heard starting up conversations, mainly joe, ash, and mark arguing on who got to play mario kart first on the ride to the hotel.

"who's going to wake the two up?" tommy tried to whisper to lorelei, failing to do so as his whispers were more low talking.

"probably you," lorelei giggled, looking over at what audrey presumed was wilbur and her before whispering again "you can't whisper."

"you really can't."

"can to!"

"shut up, tommy." wilbur groaned as he sat up from audrey, too tired to realize the position the two were in. "you can't. end of discussion."

audrey, however, couldn't help but notice how wilbur's somewhat raspy voice deepened as the night went on. shaking her head, she fake yawned as she whispered "get out of the booth, william. 'm hungry."

"sorry, darling." wilbur turned his head, a sleepy smile to his face. he shuffled out of the booth, practically falling out due to the sleep in his eyes. audrey silently shook her head as she shuffled out of the seat, overhearing tommy argue that he can whisper by trying the entire way to the door.

"darling?" lorelei questioned as quiet as she could, linking arms with audrey as they entered the hibachi restaraunt.

"tommy, just for one night, i'm stealing your girlfriend." audrey turned towards the younger boy. immediately the boy went to protest, but saw both eyes from audrey and lorelei and nodded his head silently. "i'll explain later," audrey whispered to lorelei, receiving a thumbs up as a response.

the group was eventually seated, choosing the respected food items and sushi rolls as the food started to be cooked infront of them. audrey had never been to hibachi, having wilbur help order the different food. once a spicy california roll and the veggie hibachi was ordered for her, the girl started people watching the table for a little while. picking up her glass, she took a sip of her water

"sorry for falling asleep on you, auds," wilbur apologized suddenly, taking a sip of his water. the girl turned to him, stunned for a minute as she coughed. "you do make a good pillow, though."

audrey shook her head, placing her cup down. "no need to apologize, idiot. i fell asleep on you too."

"yeah. i was going to tell you, hiba-" wilbur replied as he got cut off by the waiter, the man starting to list of the orders and fire up the grill. wilbur sighed, wanting to say more to the younger girl but he knew he had time to talk to her later.

when it came to her, the waiter just asked politely if she ordered the vegetable version. answering the questions the man had, she silently nodded as she turned back to wilbur, who was looking at the grill with his eyes somewhat widened. "you alright, will?" audrey asked, concern lacing her voice.