I was a Scarlet Letter

ابدأ من البداية

"Oh, I understand." The old woman said, a gentle hand on her son's shoulder. "Just let us know when they're ready. We'd be happy have them over for dinner any time." She added and his father nodded in agreement.

Alex smiled warmly down at his mother, relaxing a little. "Thanks, Mom."

His father chose that moment to cut back in with a warning. "But if you get them pregnant—"

"Oh my God, I'm leaving." Alex interrupted, handing an empty glass back to his mother before storming away.

His father called after him. "Where are you goin'?!"

"To the river! Where I can't hear you anymore!" Alex snapped back, not even slowing down.

The man started to yell back, but his wife's hand on his shoulder stopped him, making him take a seat on an un-chopped log.

"Bring home some catfish for dinner!" She called after her son.

"Ok!" Alex said before disappearing down the trail.

The woman smiled as she watched him go before turning to her husband who grumbled a bit. "Now, Honey Dearest, this isn't the time for yelling." She said, making the other look at her with a hand on his cheek. "Our little boy has grown into a fine young man, and we need to set him free."

There was a sigh as the old man gave a resigned smile to his wife. "You're right." He confessed.

"I'm always right, Dear." She added, rubbing his shoulder lovingly.

"I know..." He said, taking a long swig of the ice cold drink. "You make the best sweet tea."

The woman chuckled softly and leaned down to kiss his head. "I know."

* * * * *

The tall buildings blocked out the sun, casting the alley in shadows. The lack of a breeze made it stuffy, and the smell of garbage hung heavy in the air. The sounds of cars on nearby streets echoed off the walls in a steady drone, only occasionally broken up by a horn honking or a pedestrian yelling.

Barnaby sat on an old cinderblock, head in his hand as he pet Kotetsu idly. Brown eyes looked up at the dumpster across from him and he arched a brow as he listened to the sound of someone rummaging about inside. "Wh-wh-why are you d-do-doing this again?" The teen asked, adjusting his large round glasses on his freckled face.

Morgan peeked up over the rim at the other, rolling their eyes before going back to their dumpster diving. "Because I need parts for my project, and if I use my credit card, my father will find out and take it away." They explained, smiling when they found an old radio and slipped it into their satchel.

"R-r-r-right..." Barnaby said, sitting up a bit straighter and crossing his arms. "And- a-and I'm here b-becau-be- because...?"

"Because you're my best friend!" Morgan assured as they continued to dig, not caring about how filthy they were getting.

Barnaby just rolled his eyes. "So na-nat-natrually, I-I'd have to watch you sif-sift through refuse i-in an alley." He grumbled.

The snarky quip made Morgan chuckle a bit. "Well, we also get to talk!" They said, having a bit of an ulterior motive. "I haven't seen you since graduation."

"S-so-so I guess it makes s-sen-sense that I would find-find you in a d-dumpster." Barnaby said with a huff. He didn't really like being here for these excursions of Morgan's. He wasn't convinced it was entirely legal anyway, and his sensitive nose made the smell all the worse. He looked back up to see Morgan peeking at him over the edge of the dumpster, a familiar look of mischief in the green eyes. "Wh-what...?"