𝟑𝟔 | 𝑴𝒀 𝑯𝑶𝑼𝑺𝑬 𝑴𝒀 𝑹𝑼𝑳𝑬𝑺

Depuis le début

The girl's mouth opens as though she's about to say something, but we're silenced by a light tink! every couple seconds. I turn my head in the direction in front of me, the sound coming from the corridor to our right. Instead of looking back at Eleanor, I immediately head down the hall to find Filch high on a ladder, hammering something into the wall. I furrow my brows trying desperately to read it when the man pulls away, but I'm too short.

"Proclamation. Educational decree number 23: Dolores Jane Umbridge has been appointed to the post of Hogwarts High Inquisitor." Eleanor.

My heart sinks to my stomach so quickly I think I might vomit. The ministry is in denial about Voldemort and whenever a student claims they believe Potter, they ignore it and act out by punishing us. If this gets any worse, I might actually start missing home more than school. Umbridge can't just appoint herself as anything in Hogwarts... Can she?

"I do care about you, Lenora," Eleanor suddenly defends in a low voice. She seems surprised at my lack of belief in her. "I may not believe you, or Potter, but I'm still your best friend. We tell each other these kinds of things."

"Are you, though?" I hold back a scoff, turning to her. My question makes the girl's face fall. "Are you really my best friend if you're not there for me?"

Rolling my eyes, I don't give the girl a chance to speak before my legs carry me quickly away, my face burning with anger. I'm just glad we don't have this class together because I really don't want to see her right now.

Weeks begin to blend together the more they pass, and the more signs get put up, the higher Umbridge grows in power here. It's gotten to the point where Draco and I can't even hold hands in the corridors or even see each other in the dormitories. Not that that would matter, anyhow. He's been growing more distant these past weeks as Umbridge gets closer and closer to taking Dumbledore's place. He's not completely distant, but because of Umbridge, we don't really get to spend much time together and it just be the two of us.

And don't even get me started on my friends; ever since Eleanor spoke to me almost a month and a half ago, things have been worse between us. She doesn't even look at me now, and when she does it's always with a scowl on her face. Blaise is still by her side, believing every word she says about me. And Theo, thank God for him, because lately, he seems to be the only one I can talk to. He seems to have completely broken away from Eleanor and Blaise and sided with me. He hasn't said anything about he and Eleanor breaking up, but things seem rocky between them, so I'm sure it's not impossible.

"Lenora! Lenora, wait up!" Theo.

I stop in my tracks and turn to find Theo running toward me. His movements are fast and he reaches me rather quickly. Stopping, he sucks in deep breaths before pointing behind him. "Why are you pointing?"

"It's Professor Trelawney... And Umbridge." I furrow my brows and the boy just sighs before grabbing my hand and pulling me down the corridor to the courtyard, which is surrounded by students. Trelawney sits in the middle with all of her trunks by her. The clicking of heels captures my attention as I halt, pushing my way past some younger Hufflepuff students for a better view. Umbridge is making her way toward the crazy woman, quite proudly, might I add.

Trelawney takes a step forward, tripping over one of her trunks before slowly moving around it. "Sixteen years I've lived and taught here. Hogwarts is my home. You can't do this..."

Umbridge sends the poor woman a sickly sweet smile and holds up a paper for her to see. "Actually, I can."

Suddenly, McGonagall comes through and rushes to her friend's side, hugging her.

"Something you'd like to say, dear?" Umbridge.

"Oh, there are several things I would like to say." McGonagall.

The two women look as though they're about to go at each other's throat when the doors to the courtyard suddenly creak open and Dumbledore's figure stands before us. As he makes his way toward the three woman, a small flutter in my heart erupts. I never thought I'd say this in my entire life, but I'm actually glad to see him right now.

"Professor McGonagall, might I ask you to escort Sybil back inside?" The man instructs. The woman begins crying and thaking Dumbledore profusely for letting her stay. And this makes Umbridge quite upset.

The pink blob of a woman let's out a huff in annoyance and starts, "Dumbledore, may I remind you that under the terms of Educational Decree Number 23, as enacted by the minister--."

"You have the right to dismiss my teachers. You do not, however, have the authority to banish then from the grounds. That power remains with the headmaster."

"For now."

The man's face hardens before turning around and walking back into the castle. "Don't you all have studying to do?"

This gets everyone moving and they hurriedly rush to study. I hope to Merlin she doesn't successfully take Dumbledore's place.

That would be bad for all of us.

-