Chapter 6 ~ Witch hunt

Start from the beginning

"Quick, hide inside this room," Usagi said to Asahi. "Where are you going?!"
"We have to search for someone."
"Please bring me along! It's either game over or death for me if I wait here."
I turned to hear a fimiliar voice, it's Tatta with another person. "Let me help you. You and Arisu helped me in a game before."
I looked at Usagi, then back at the two boys. "Help us find Arisu."

The gunshots came nearer and we decided to search all together, leaving no one behind. We called his name and went through door to door until we stumbled upon a man in the bathroom holding a gun. "Are you all right?"
"I can't do this," he whispered. I remember his face, he was one of the militants. I kneeled down and asked him quietly. "Where is Arisu?"
"In the main building."

The fire alarm was ringing loudly. Shit, please no... I could see the smoke already, they wanted to lure us out. "Smoke? Is there a fire?" Usagi shushed Tatta while she tried to listen to something. "Help! Somebody, help!" We both rushed to the door, but the door was locked. "Arisu!"

At the worst possible time 2 militants arrived and began shooting without any guilt. They were following me and Usagi who climbed out of the window to jump onto another balcony. My mind was blank when I did the same. I was clearly not destined for this and almost fell to my death, the cold wind hitting my body. Usagi caught me by my arm.

One of the men shot at us and almost missed. Tatta pulled him back in and we made it onto the other side. "FUCK!", I yelped with my bleeding leg. It didn't do too much, he barely destroyed any vital things or veins. Luckily just some skin, but it still hurted as hell. We entered the room with Arisu on the floor and immediately tried to free him. "Y/n.. Usagi..."

The others came storming into the room after I untied the last rope. "Thank you," Arisu smiled softly. "I hate to break it to you, but we only have 30 minutes left." The phone was handed to him. "Just explain the rules to me." We began explaining everything one by one. He laid his phone on the bed and looked in distress like all of us. "This is the worst rule ever. But just like those taggers from the tag game who were made to participate in the game with rules of their own. I'm sure it's the same this time. The witch has to kill the girl to start the game and survive until the end of the time limit. In other words, the witch clears the game if everyone here gets a Game Over or gets struck by the lasers."

We accused the militants... Aguni, niragi or last boss, but this mindset got scrapped by Arisus good thinking. "This is 10 of hearts. It's not just a physical game. I know that since I've cleared a Hearts game before. Heart games are utterly wicked. You toy with people's feelings, betray and kill each other. They're designed so that you can't win without feelings discusted. If the militants win this way, there will not be any conflict."
"So, what is it?"
"Something's weird, what could it be? If I were the witch, what would I do?"

He thought for a very long time, scratching his head. His face slightly lit up. "No, I shoudn't be thinking like the witch. I should be thinking like the game master!"
"Game master?
"Don't you think this seems tailor-made for the players, for this place and for this time? After Hatter was killed, Momoka was murdered. Someone who knows the ins and outs at the Beach made this game after calculating the timing. Their deaths did not just occur at the same time by chance. The game master had likely been waiting for this moment.
I neither thought like this, nor knew Arisu could do that. It's perfectly logical.

"Then who is the witch?", Asahi wondered. "Hatter's death was made known after Momoka died. Those who knew of Hatter's death were only the militants and the executive members," I said.
"But the game master might have known of Hatter's death somehow."
"Then all of the Beach members are suspects."
"When I passed by the lobby one hour before the game started, Momoka's body wasn't there yet," Tatta told us.
"So sombody moved her body during that time frame."
"There's no point in asking since the witch can lie. The question is... why did the game start now?"
I raised an eyebrow at Arisu.
"Why did they wait for Hatter's death before they started the game? It was to throw the Beach into a state of chaos. If that was the case, if I eas the game master..."